Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > Baan SIGs > Performance & Tuning

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
For ERP LN feature pack upgrade, what method of install are you using?
Installation Wizard into existing VRC
35%
Installation Wizard into new VRC
42%
Manual into existing VRC
3%
Manual into new VRC
19%
Total votes: 31

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 23rd January 2003, 18:40

dsplingaire is on a distinguished road
Baan: IVc4 through Vc - DB: Oracle 7.3.4 through 8i - OS: NT 4.0 and W2K
Question Performance Issues after migrating Baan IVc4 to W2K and Oracle 8i

Hello All,
We have recently migrated one of our Baan systems from NT 4.0 / Oracle 8.0.5 to W2K / Oracle 8i. Since the migration, Baan session performance has been significantly slower. Queries of the same tables on old and new show Oracle to be much faster on the new system so it appears to be strictly a Baan issue. Does anyone know of any obvious issues with Baan IVc and W2K or Oracle 8i? Are there changes to Oracle Call Interface that can be made to improve Baan's use of Oracle? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Dan
Old 23rd January 2003, 19:41
Guru

NPRao will become famous soon enough
Baan: iBaanERP-5.2a(Reger),SSA-ERP-LN-6.1,Infor LN-10.x - DB: Oracle-10g,11g,12c,MS-SQL - OS: HP-UX, Linux, Windows
First take, assuming similar setups, you might have to generate the database statistics by doing the analyze tables.

Ofcourse it also, depends on the usual factors - newer versions of porting sets, number of users, network bandwidth, memory, disk space issues, database/baan configurations, shared memory, table size extents, redo/log buffers/, cache sizes etc...

The list goes endless until you go through each step of verification and you should make a procedure document so that everyone in your group should follow.

Make sure that you do a sanity check and close monitoring for every new environment and periodically over an existing environment.
Old 24th January 2003, 17:01

dsplingaire is on a distinguished road
Baan: IVc4 through Vc - DB: Oracle 7.3.4 through 8i - OS: NT 4.0 and W2K
Lightbulb

Thanks. On a tip from another post from this site we tried changing the Oracle driver from 8 to 7 and that has made a tremendous difference. I suspect, as that post mentioned, that there may be a bug with the Oracle 8 driver.
Sponsored Links
Old 24th January 2003, 19:05
Guru

NPRao will become famous soon enough
Baan: iBaanERP-5.2a(Reger),SSA-ERP-LN-6.1,Infor LN-10.x - DB: Oracle-10g,11g,12c,MS-SQL - OS: HP-UX, Linux, Windows
Refer to -

Oracle 8i performance solution

Quote:
Oracle 8.1.7 performance problem solution Body: We upgraded to Oracle 8.1.7 on our IBM RS6000 AIX system. We experienced major performance degradation with Baan and native Oracle SQL. Queries that used to take minutes under 7.3 started to take hours to run under 8.1.7. We found that the Oracle optimizer had some major changes that were causing this to happen. In researching this issue on Oracle's Metalink, I found an Oracle optimizer setting called "optimizer_features_enable" which by default is set to the current version of Oracle you are using. We set it to 8.0.6 and found it made a big difference in returning our performance back to normal. Also, make sure that you set "optimizer_max_permutations" to 1500 as Baan recommends this as do we.
Old 27th January 2003, 15:22
Unconfirmed User

gguymer is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IVc4 SP12 - DB: Oracle 8i, 9i - OS: AIX 4.3, 5.3
Since the previous quote was mine, I feel that it needs to be updated:

We found that it was more a lack of memory issue since Oracle 8i consumes more memory per user. One place we were able to lower the memory used was to reduce the sort_area_size down to 128K which helped a lot. The other thing we did was get more memory.