Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > Baan Quick Support: Functional & Technical > Tools Administration & Installation

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
For ERP LN feature pack upgrade, what method of install are you using?
Installation Wizard into existing VRC
35%
Installation Wizard into new VRC
42%
Manual into existing VRC
3%
Manual into new VRC
19%
Total votes: 31

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 24th January 2017, 19:13

sikima is on a distinguished road
Baan: 1.0 - LN - DB: Oracle, SQL Server - OS: Unix, Windows
single byte to multibyte conversion
Baan: Other/Unknown
DB: Other/Unknown
C/S: None/Unknown

Hello,

here is some unique situation.

We have production in LN FP5 (singlebyte) and it should be converted to LN 10.5 which it is multibyte/unicode.

The standard export/import tools are not working (incompatible versions).

I think there is hidden variable PREVERSION which it should be set to 3 or 4 and it should resolve problem during import.

I am wondering if somebody used this and if it is going work in this situation ?

The second option is direct migration through SQL Server (out of LN) which it should automatically take care of conversion but I am not sure if it is true and how to do it.

Any input regarding this is welcome ...

Please let me know ...

Alex
Old 24th January 2017, 19:55
Guru

NPRao will become famous soon enough
Baan: iBaanERP-5.2a(Reger),SSA-ERP-LN-6.1,Infor LN-10.x - DB: Oracle-10g,11g,12c,MS-SQL - OS: HP-UX, Linux, Windows
Refer to the threads -

Problem in reading multi byte char

Import data from non unicode into unicode database

Also refer to -
Quote:
Infor Enterprise Server Technical Guide for Unicode Conversion
Publication Information
Release: 10.4
Publication Date: December 9, 2014
Document Code: U8887H US
Old 25th January 2017, 09:34
Guru

jclju1 is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IV, Baan 5.0c, SSA ERP LN 6.1 - DB: bisam, Oracle, Informix, Sql Server - OS: Unix (all), Windows
Few years ago I made some export/import between different versions and variable PREVERSION was usefull.
Old 25th January 2017, 15:57

sikima is on a distinguished road
Baan: 1.0 - LN - DB: Oracle, SQL Server - OS: Unix, Windows
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclju1 View Post
Few years ago I made some export/import between different versions and variable PREVERSION was usefull.
Could you please let me know what value did you use - 3 or 4 ?

Also, did you put ASCII_tolerance setup when you export data along with PREVERSION or just PREVERSION?

Same question for importing process ....

I think PREVERSION is OK if you export/import between different version (newer vs older Tools set) but when you are dealing with unicode vs non-unicode it is not working or I am not right ... Can I use it for export from non-unicode and import to unicode system.

Alex

Last edited by sikima : 25th January 2017 at 17:25.
Old 26th January 2017, 14:55

pramod is on a distinguished road
Baan: B4c4, LN - DB: INF - OS: AIX
I guess it's not mandatory to have unicode to have LN 10.5. It can work with single byte. We are testing the upgrade from FP3 to 10.5, seems to be working well so far.
Old 26th January 2017, 15:38
Guru

Baan: iBaanERP-5.2a(Reger),SSA-ERP-LN-6.1,Infor LN-10.x - DB: Oracle-10g,11g,12c,MS-SQL - OS: HP-UX, Linux, Windows
Refer to -

Quote:
Infor LN Installation Guide
Infor LN Release: 10.4
Publication Date: December 4, 2014
Document code: U9498IUS

Database settings
This section provides general guidelines for a correct database configuration for LN. The database instance must be created manually. The database can be created through the Installation Wizard.
The installation wizard does not create directories for database files. Ensure these directories already exist.
Disk space
For performance reasons we recommend to allocate the full size of the database tablespaces according the sizing recommendation during the creation of the tablespace. For example, if the sizing requires 500 GB disk space for the database for the coming two years, allocate that size during the database creation. In order to decrease the disk space, the compress database table on functionality can be considered.
Character set
Before you start the installation you must have decided what Character Set you are using for LN. We recommend that you use Unicode. When using Unicode, integrations with other applications are possible and extra languages can be added to your environment. Changing from Single Byte to Unicode after the installation is a very time consuming conversion. Compared with Single byte, a Unicode character set has impact on performance and requires more disk space. For more specific sizing
information and the impact on your hardware, contact Infor.
Sponsored Links
Old 26th January 2017, 16:28

Hi NPRao,

The document you have referred to was last updated in 2014. The one I looked at was for 10.5 updated in 2016 and it does not mention about the integration problem etc if not Unicode.

Thanks.
Old 26th January 2017, 16:36
Guru

Yes, Pramod the 10.5 installation pdf does not have that section as most of the newer installations are going with the Unicode, as they are also implementing multi-languages, ION integration and/or XM, FactoryTrack, TimeTrack, Supply Web etc. So one can position themselves better with the Product road-map and recommendations to make it easy for future upgrades.
Old 26th January 2017, 19:38

Sorry Alex for hijacking the discussion. NPR's comment make sense. We would be in your situation pretty soon doing single-byte to multi-byte. So please share your experience when done.