Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > Baan Quick Support: Functional & Technical > Tools Development

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
For ERP LN feature pack upgrade, what method of install are you using?
Installation Wizard into existing VRC
37%
Installation Wizard into new VRC
39%
Manual into existing VRC
3%
Manual into new VRC
21%
Total votes: 38

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 20th October 2016, 17:33
Guru

Ajesh is on a distinguished road
Baan: LN 10.4 - DB: Oracle - OS: HP-Unix
Need Need to create different Purchase Order versions
Baan: ERP LN 6.1 FP10 (Infor ERP 10.4)
C/S: Both

Hello there

My Client needs to create various PO Versions. Right now the baseline is standard.So i was thinking how to approach this.

The process is whenever they approve the PO, it should create a new version, then again if re-open it modify it and approve it, it should create a New Version. This is for PO header.

Should i include a new field Version in the standard table or should i include CDF?

Regards
Ajesh
Old 20th October 2016, 19:34
Guru

bhushanchanda has a spectacular aura aboutbhushanchanda has a spectacular aura aboutbhushanchanda has a spectacular aura about
Baan: LN FP 1-9, 10.4, a little bit of Baan IV - DB: SQL Server 2008, Oracle - OS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Unix
Hi,

Can't you use standard PO history tables? Though I am not sure if they are updated but you may have a look.

Bhushan

Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow!
Old 21st October 2016, 04:33
Guru

mark_h will become famous soon enough
Baan: Baan 4C4 A&D1 - DB: Oracle - OS: Sun Solaris
If the PO history tables are not enough then what we do for something like this in 4c4 is to create a new table for tracking. Then we use source extension like Qkey to update this table at each status change on the PO. You could create a table that would just add a new record at approval time or where ever you want. Of course this is not very feasible if they want to know every little change on an order.

GO Cards!
My latest mantra - make sure you have latest stpapi patches and the latest session object. If on LN then please explore the option of using DAL2 functionality.

Shared Solutions for Baan systems provided free by Baan Board.
Play the Google game and help Baanboard get better rankings. Do your part. Click here to find how.
Old 22nd October 2016, 12:04
Guru

But then if i want to display all the details of a PO from this new table, wouldnt it be a little complex?

As opposed to Adding the table fields in the PO Table itself....
Old 22nd October 2016, 22:18
Guru

bhushanchanda has a spectacular aura aboutbhushanchanda has a spectacular aura aboutbhushanchanda has a spectacular aura about
Baan: LN FP 1-9, 10.4, a little bit of Baan IV - DB: SQL Server 2008, Oracle - OS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Unix
If you want to use the data for something like reporting, you can use history tables. But in you case, where you want users to see the versions, you can create a completely new customized table, on every approval fill the customized table with the data you require and assume that tdpur400 record is the latest one. In case if you have the source code, you can simple add a form field to show that the current header is latest one with some kind of indicator.

Now, in case if the user wishes to look at the older versions, build a customized session using the customized table and add it as a form command to the standard session. User can easily navigate to it and check the older versions of the PO.

In case if you want to keep track of the version numbers, either add a form field or a table field if you have the source code. I believe, CDF's are not handy for development as its difficult to move those components from a Dev environment to production due to the fact that you can't add them to the PMC solutions and every time you will need to export and import them leading to difficulty in maintaining them.

Bhushan

Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow!
Old 23rd October 2016, 08:38
Guru

But I would need all the standard form.commands on the customized session as the users would like to see it just like a standard P.O. session..

So adding the fields to standard PO seems a more appr solution..wouldn't it be so??
Sponsored Links
Old 24th October 2016, 06:19
Guru

shah_bs is on a distinguished road
Baan: BAAN IVc3 with A&D2.2b - DB: ORACLE 9 - OS: HPUX
I speak with reference to BAAN IV c3.

The requirement in our case was quite severe, and we had to 'log' each table when there was a change to an 'approved' PO. So, in addition to the entire approval process that was built in (level by level based on amount of PO - PO Approval process in not standard in BAAN IV c3), when there was a change to an approved PO, the entire set of records (header, detail, etc. etc.) were written to a set of parallel tables, which had version number as part of the key. The important part of this versioning business was changes to the TEXTS at header and item level). The idea was to be able to view any previous version of a PO, including changes to the texts. A whole sub-system of sessions was required to be able to navigate to the desired version to view it. The 'version number' of the 'regular' PO Header was 'derived' from the last logged version number in the parallel table.

Needless to say - the versioning sub-system was not really used extensively - was only dictated by 'in case of an audit' requirement.

SO: the points I am trying to make are:
- it WILL require customizations (how heavy depends on the depths you want to get to).
-- Since you mention that you only want to log the version number at the header level, a custom table with just the PO Number and Version Number as key should be enough. The version of the 'archived' header is the 'previous' version. So the current header would be that plus 1. (After this, you would need to modify the Maintain/ Display and Print sessions to display/ print the latest version number, so the user/ vendor can see it).
- if the standard PO History system will work, I would recommend to use that. It is quite exhaustive in what it can report. (In my opinion). Although, it does not have any concept of a 'version'.

I am hoping that LN version has more features that can be activated by suitable parameter set up. But since I am not familiar with LN, cannot help with what the parameters could be for activating version control of a PO.
Old 24th October 2016, 11:14
Guru

Also, you can take a look at session tfgld4573m000(Mapping Scheme) which has a similar structure where user can make changes to a mapping scheme and once its activated, a new version number is generated,

Again, as I said earlier, if you own the source code, you can go with the table changes and do the required customizations. If you have the code, its always better to modify definition instead of using CDF's. Also, taking audit into consideration, you will need to add more information/fields in the table like the user who created the version, date time stamp and something like a reason field. It will help business to keep a log of whatever changes were done, why and when.

Bhushan

Old 28th October 2016, 03:47
Guru

Assuming that you have the source code, I would recommend to create 'own' 'parallel' table(s), matching the primary key of the original table, and having your own new fields. For example, tdpur040 (Purchase Order Header) would be 'extended' by tdpur940 (Purchase Order Header Extension) and so on.

Then in each session where required, you can add code to read the parallel table record when the original main table is read.

The reason for this approach is that if BAAN is upgraded at your site, it will be smoother upgrade if your own tables are independent (so to speak).

Also, I believe it to be a 'best practice' approach to making changes to BAAN.

I, of course, speak with reference to BAAN IV c3. Maybe better options are possible in BAAN LN.
Old 28th October 2016, 11:09
Guru

This is just my opinion, but having parallel table will just complicate things more. I will require the same PO Header and Line UI when wanting to show the previous versions. Copying all the standard functions etc to the new UI's. Its as good as or as tedious as doing the changes in the standard table itself...
Old 28th October 2016, 18:39
Guru

The reason for a parallel table:
- In case BAAN makes changes to (say) tdpur040 table by adding a few fields in their next version, then BAAN will provide a conversion session to move data from the old table to the new version.

If fields are added to the standard table of BAAN itself, then the customer himself is responsible to do the data conversion.

Other than that the approach depends on context. If one is NEVER EVER going to upgrade BAAN to a newer release, what you propose may work quite well.

Parallel tables are not as tedious as you may believe however, and provides for quite a nice 'separation' of 'ours' and 'theirs'
Old 28th October 2016, 20:19
Guru

NPRao will become famous soon enough
Baan: iBaanERP-5.2a(Reger),SSA-ERP-LN-6.1,Infor LN-10.x - DB: Oracle-10g,11g,12c,MS-SQL - OS: HP-UX, Linux, Windows
Quote:
Should i include a new field Version in the standard table or should i include CDF?
I think CDF will be a better way to go.
Quote:
Customer defined fields
You can use the Customer Defined Fields (CDF) sessions in the LN software to store additional
information in tables without creating customizations

Customer-defined fields (CDFs)
If the standard LN application features do not contain all required information, it is recommended to
add fields. In certain scenarios, there is no business justification to run an extensive customization
project to just add a few fields or only a part of the additional functionality. A simplified development
methodology is available based on adding CDFs. CDFs are fields that can be added to LN database
tables during deployment.
The supported field data types are similar to regular table fields. Also, interaction can be added to a
CDF, for example, to compose a check box selection feature on an LN screen.

LN Enterprise Server 10.3 features:
• Custom-defined enumerated lists (for example, enums)
• Programmable CDFs, to provide similar functionality to a LN table field.
• The capability to use a CDF to store the result of a calculation.
• A combination of standard fields and CDFs can be used for calculations and is useful for
reporting purposes.
• Applying conditional formatting rules on CDFs, for example, standard table fields.
LN Enterprise Server 10.4 features:
Create CDFs in tables which do not rely on a Data Access Layer (DAL)
It is now possible to create CDFs and use programs to control the usage of CDFs in LN database
tables even if a Data Access Layer is not used.
Display values of CDFs from referenced LN tables
Access to information in CDFs when used in LN screens was only possible when available in a
session’s main table. This Enterprise Server release supports the ability to add CDFs in an LN
screen from any referenced LN table. This feature only displays the CDFs information; updates are
not supported.
This will also position you to use the LN 10.5 Extensiblity capabilities.