Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > General Topics > About Baanboard.com

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
For ERP LN feature pack upgrade, what method of install are you using?
Installation Wizard into existing VRC
37%
Installation Wizard into new VRC
39%
Manual into existing VRC
3%
Manual into new VRC
21%
Total votes: 38

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Closed Thread

Old 29th August 2002, 11:29
Guru

OmeLuuk is on a distinguished road
Baan: Infor LN 6.1 10.2.1 - DB: MS SQL2008 - OS: VM WindowsServer2008R2
New Threads: ## | New Posts: ##

When I log in on the BaanBoard, I usually check for the New Treads / New Posts first. When I find threads there where I want to reply to or read from, I open the thread in a new window.

My question is: when are these numbers reset?

Because when I click on a link in the mail I receive, then I find the numbers reset. But when I have read all and refresh the search results and/or go back to the main window, then the numbers are not reset.

Can there be made a button to reset the numbers and not reset the numbers as long as you are logged in on the site (have some kind of active connection)?
Old 29th August 2002, 11:34

Kees de Jong is on a distinguished road
Baan: MK, BaanIV, B5.0b until LN - DB: - - OS: Unix; AS/400; Windows2000
Congratulations Lucas, you just logged your 200th thread [=> sorry, 200th post.]

But I agree with you, I notice the same 'problem'.
Old 29th August 2002, 11:36
Guru

This will be 202 write post instead of thread...
Groetjes aan JW & the gang
Old 29th August 2002, 12:19
Board Master

patvdv is on a distinguished road
Baan: n/a - DB: n/a - OS: AIX, HP-UX, Linux
The post counters are normally reset when you either select 'Mark All Forums Read' or when you do a combination of log on/log off. I haven't really noticed the problem myself but let me play around with it and see what happens. I usually don't use the email notifications

Oh and congrats on the 200th post Lucas!

Patrick Van der Veken - Admin & Founder - (c) 2001-2017 baanboard.com/baanforums.com
Old 29th August 2002, 15:30
Guru

Edwin Hartman #2400

he wanted to know how to get his tshirt...

Pat, I am not really sure, but I think it works like this:
When I click on a link in the mail, then I am taken to the post directly.
OR at this time the counter gets reset so
When I have read, I go to the main page via a click on the:
-V Baanboard.com > link on top of the thread
and then counters are reset

OR when I have read the post I close that instance and start a new IExplore window logging in again. In that case I can see why the numbers are reset.
Old 29th August 2002, 15:33
Board Master

t-shirts are all gone sorry Maybe we'll make them available as official merchandise if there would be enough interest.

As to the resetting: closing the IE window is like logging off/on so yes that's normal. The click-trough-email is something I still have to check out!

Patrick Van der Veken - Admin & Founder - (c) 2001-2017 baanboard.com/baanforums.com
Old 29th August 2002, 18:18

Scott2001 is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty certain that the "click-through-email" itself (or copy-and-paste in my case since the hyperlinks don't come through with AOL's marvelous email) doesn't reset counters.

In other words, if I go directly to the new post and just read it, it opens a new IE window but there is no trigger to tell the VBoard that I personally visited the post, even if I am logged on in a separate IE window. My "visit" is no different than that of a non-member who I might forward the email to and the next time that I log on to the Board, the post still appears as new.

Not sure, however, if I decide to post a reply. In that case, I have to log in so maybe the counters are updated. I'll try to pay more attention but I've had enough problems with using the Board via AOL that I may not be a good test case.

(Pat: I keep intending to send you an email. I'm almost positive that the logon issues we corresponded about are due to AOL's proxy server.)

Scott
Old 30th August 2002, 00:48
Board Master

Cookie & Timer

Here's some good info on resetting counters and cookie timeouts:
Quote:
Every time you click, a timer (of sorts) is started, counting down the cookie timeout. When you make another click, the timer is reset, and this time is noted on your account (this is how the timer is kept track of).
If this timer gets to 0 without you clicking, then it notes the time, minus the cookie timeout (it assumes you left right after your last click), in a different place in the database, which in turn marks everything as read for you.
Then, when you return the next time, this time is read and anything posted since then is marked as unread.

Example 1: I log on at 8:45. The cookie timeout is 15 minutes. I surf around, making at least one click every 15 minutes, until 9:45. I close the browser and go on about my day. At 10:00, vB determines I haven't made a click in 15 minutes. It marks my last activity as occuring at 9:45, and erases my session.
I return at 2:25. Everything posted since 9:45 is marked as unread.

Example 2: I log on at 8:45. Again, cookie timeout is 15 minutes. I surf around until 9:45. I close the window. I get an email about a thread I'm subscribed to and return to the site at 9:55 for 5 minutes. Because it hasn't been 15 minutes, everything that was unread for me at 8:45 is still unread for me, including everything posted since then. I leave again and return at 2:15. Everything posted since 10:00 is marked as unread.

Old 30th August 2002, 05:09

Patrick,

Thank you! That explains a lot -- both how the counter updates and many of the "you are not logged in or do not have permission" messages.

Regarding Example 2:
I log on at 8:45. Again, cookie timeout is 15 minutes. I surf around until 9:45. I close the window. I get an email about a thread I'm subscribed to and return to the site at 9:55 for 5 minutes.Because it hasn't been 15 minutes, everything that was unread for me at 8:45 is still unread for me, including everything posted since then. I leave again and return at 2:15. Everything posted since 10:00 is marked as unread.

I assume that by "return to the site" you mean you go back to the board, log on and then view the new thread/post.

There is nothing in the emailed hyperlink, however, to identify you. If instead of logging on, you "click-through-email" (i.e., follow the hyperlink straight to the new post) and if you do not do anything before 10:00 (such as a reply) that requires login , I expect that when you return at 2:15, the timeout will have as unread everything posted after 9:45.

Scott
Old 30th August 2002, 06:07

Lightbulb

"Missed" New Posts

OK. Here's a bit more that I never would have figured out without Patrick's explanation.

Example #3: I logged off the Board at 3:00 pm. At 9:30, I receive an email notice of Patrick's new post and respond by "click-through-email". When I read the post, I can't resist adding my 2 bits. I click the reply button and VB tells me I must log on. I log on, post my reply and then close the window at 10:00.

When I log on again at 10:20, the Board shows my last visit as 10:00 (correct) and no new posts/threads. There were, in fact no new posts after 10:00. There were, however, a number of "new" posts between 3:00 and 10:00 that I "missed" because everything was marked read when I closed the window at 10:00.

May the wild, crazy world of enlightenment never cease!

Scott
Old 30th August 2002, 12:31
Guru

Scott, that is indeed what is bothering me.
Also: when I heve no time to read all new threads, but read just some, I cannot "mark unread" all the non-read (or better left to read) threads.

Maybe there should also be a posibility to see all posts since a certain date or from the last 24 hours, 48 hours, week, month.

Should threads be marked as "no new thread/post" when these conditions are true:
1) You missed the thread like discribed above
BUT
2) You contributed to the thread (or you subscribed to the thread)
3) There have been posts you have not read after your contribution (or after your last view on the thread).
I think not (imho).

The only way to review "missed threads" are via the forum interface, where they come up sorted by date.
Old 30th August 2002, 12:51
Board Master

View Posts of Last 24hrs

There's no way to make a post 'unread'. However I have added a link to View Posts of Last 24hrs at the top of the page. A little extra I meant to add a while ago but now the time is more than right

The Project Dolphin and SETI stats can now be accessed from the bottom list of links.

Sponsored Links
Old 30th August 2002, 15:37
Guru

Thanks Pat!

It is not switching read to unread, it is about not switching to unread. ...
Old 30th August 2002, 17:51

Thank you, Pat!

I think the "posted within last 24-hours" option will bridge the gap nicely. Just understanding how the V-Board determines which messages are displayed as "new" or "unread" is a great help!

Scott
Old 31st August 2002, 00:05
Guru

Francesco is on a distinguished road
Baan: 5b - DB: Oracle - OS: Solaris
nice :)

Not to mention...usefull.

Francesco

Admiral Business Solutions | My World | Baan Board | IT Happens!

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" -- George Patton
"It's easy to cry 'bug' when the truth is that you've got a complex system and sometimes it takes a while to get all the components to co-exist peacefully." -- Doug Vargas
Closed Thread