Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > Baan Quick Support: Functional & Technical > Operating Systems & Databases

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
For ERP LN feature pack upgrade, what method of install are you using?
Installation Wizard into existing VRC
35%
Installation Wizard into new VRC
42%
Manual into existing VRC
3%
Manual into new VRC
19%
Total votes: 31

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 29th November 2001, 09:53

Badre Alam is on a distinguished road
Baan: BaaN IV c4 - DB: Informix - OS: Tru64 Unix
restore informix backup

O.S Digital Unix 4.0

We r having approx 40 Gb of data on informix 7.31 (RAW devices), we have test server also but having only 10GB of disk space, my Q r ..

1. Can I take backup of selective dbspace using "ontape -s" ?

2. If yes, can I restore selective dbspace on test server where v don't have RAW deviecs.

3. can I restore data backed-up from raw devices into cooked files ?

4. Is it necessary that both the server must have same configuration setup i.e onconfig and sqlhosts.

thanks,

alamb
Old 29th November 2001, 13:22

Andy.. is on a distinguished road
Baan: BaanIVc4, Baan5c, ERP LN - DB: Oracle, Informix, SQL Server - OS: UNIX, Windows Server
1. Can I take backup of selective dbspace using "ontape -s" ?
- NO, the way Baan organises tables makes it not possible.

2. If yes, can I restore selective dbspace on test server where v don't have RAW deviecs.
- NOT REALLY - it is not whether they are raw or cooked, it is the fact that they are in a different location (ie not /dev/raw_links/..)

3. can I restore data backed-up from raw devices into cooked files ?

4. Is it necessary that both the server must have same configuration setup i.e onconfig and sqlhosts.

I have performed this process of backup and restore, but both systems where setup the same in terms of location of /dev/raw_links etc.

I would say the best way to achieve you goal is to dump the data from Baan and import with Baan. Then at least you can select by individual companies.

Of course you will need to copy company 000 and copy the UNIX file structures beneath $BSE as well.

Hope this helps

Andy
Old 29th November 2001, 21:23

JamesV is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IV/5 - DB: Oracle 7/8/8i,Informix, SQL Server, UDB - OS: AIX, HP-UX, Tru64, Solaris, NT/2000
Andy is correct.

If you are restoring from ontape it is an all or nothing affair. You must restore to an environment that exactly matches the backup in size and number of chunks, disk layout but sqlhosts can be different (as this is used by the client).

Hopefully you can bdbpre out just one company and move that to your test system.

-- Jim
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
jvandermey@ostusa.com
Old 30th November 2001, 08:47
Guru

Han Brinkman has a spectacular aura aboutHan Brinkman has a spectacular aura about
Baan: All - DB: Oracle/ms-sql/db2 - OS: *nix/windows
raw devices not necessary

First of all I am not an Informix DBA however I have done this some time ago with help of an Informix DBA.

You don't need raw devices on the system on which you will perform the restore. However the chunks/dbspaces should be setup the same. As long as the links in /dev/raw_links are the same it will work, that they are linked to a cooked file is no problem.

Regards,
Han
Old 2nd December 2001, 20:32

Nick Cooley is on a distinguished road
Baan: IVC4 - DB: Informix 7.31 UC6 - OS: Solaris 2.7
Do not use ontape

The selective backup/restore using ontape has nothing to do with the way Baan organises it's tables. This is simply the way this Informix product works. It backs a whole instance of Informix, irrespective of what the application is.

An alternative would be to use onbar, which does allow selective dbspaces to be backed up. This takes more setting up than ontape, but is far more flexible. Check out the Informix website to see how to implement this.

Even better if you have Veritas, as this uses onbar and makes the setting up phase much easier.

Regards
Nick