Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > General Topics > About Baanboard.com

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
For ERP LN feature pack upgrade, what method of install are you using?
Installation Wizard into existing VRC
35%
Installation Wizard into new VRC
42%
Manual into existing VRC
3%
Manual into new VRC
19%
Total votes: 31

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 20th July 2006, 17:54
Board Master

patvdv is on a distinguished road
Baan: n/a - DB: n/a - OS: AIX, HP-UX, Linux
WANTED: Tagging/Categorizing threads

Hi all,

In response to this thread: different forums for IV/ERP/LN I would like to add the possibility to add tags to any thread posted. Such tags would allow users to qualify threads with meta information that can be used to quickly identify threads in the forum list or in the search option. An example of a interesting tag would be the option to specify which Baan software version is involved (see screen shots)

In order to come with a good tagging system, I am calling in the help of baanboard members to help answering following questions:
  • which tags are desireable for members to specify when posting? Examples could be Baan version, DB version etc.
  • which values should be defined for a tag? Example: which Baan versions should be offered for a Baan version tag?
  • which forums should carry tags and which should not? Separate tags can be assigned to different forums. My intention is to introduce the tags originally for any of the Quick Support/SIG forums.
Please reply to this thread or PM me with your idea and/or comments!

Additional Notes:
  1. Tags can be of the following type:
    • Text (free-form)
    • Radio (yes/no type)
    • Checkbox (multiple options)
    • Dropdown Select (one option)
  2. Tags can only be set or updated by the original poster (ie thread starter) or moderators
  3. Tag values can be shown in different places in the forum, ie on the home page, on the forum list and inside each thread. Keep in mind that the more tags there are defined, the more place they take up on screen.
Attached Images
File Type: png extra_fields_thread.png (16.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: png extra_fields_search.png (25.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: png extra_fields_forum.png (16.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: png extra_fields_home.png (7.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: png extra_fields_new.png (34.2 KB, 21 views)

Patrick Van der Veken - Admin & Founder - (c) 2001-2017 baanboard.com/baanforums.com
Old 22nd July 2006, 04:16
Guru

mark_h will become famous soon enough
Baan: Baan 4C4 A&D1 - DB: Oracle - OS: Sun Solaris
Okay - I like drop down tags. As far as what the tags are I like baan version, database and maybe server OS(optional). I would prefer the tags only in the thread(initial post). Also is it possible to pre-set the tags based off of the user profile?

I think I like the search feature the best. Other than that I usually manage to see what I want to see by looking at the posters profile. So even if this does not happen I will not be too upset. I think this might mean more on the functional side of things.

GO Cards!
My latest mantra - make sure you have latest stpapi patches and the latest session object. If on LN then please explore the option of using DAL2 functionality.

Shared Solutions for Baan systems provided free by Baan Board.
Play the Google game and help Baanboard get better rankings. Do your part. Click here to find how.
Old 24th July 2006, 10:51
Board Master

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback. It is not possible to connect user profile values to those of the thread fields. I was actually considering that if the extra meta tags per thread are introduced we could do away with the current Baan/DB/OS profile info line in each post. Too many times this information is not filled out correctly and with the meta tags it would sort of the double up.

I think the triplet Baan/DB/OS is probably a good start. Can anyone give me some pointers as to a list of all available (future and past) DB versions that Baan support(ed)s? Idem for the OS.

Patrick Van der Veken - Admin & Founder - (c) 2001-2017 baanboard.com/baanforums.com
Old 26th July 2006, 23:08
Board Master

New tags implemented

Hi all,

I have decided to add following tags:
  • Baan version/type (in most of the forums)
  • DB version/type (only in the technical forums)
  • OS version/type (only in the technical forums)
  • Client or Server problem/topic (in some of the forums)
  • Job type (in the Recruiters forum)
All of these tags are available as drop-down lists in the new/edit thread dialogs (see screenshot). The default value for each tag is blank (or N/A if you wish) unless the tag is required when posting a thread.

The entered tags will appear in following places:
  • the first post of each thread right under the title
  • at the forum list page under each thread title
And of course: each of these tags are also searchable in the Advanced Search screen

PS: please let me know if any of tags has missing or incorrect values in the drop-down lists. Please use the tags when posting a question!
Attached Images
File Type: png new_threadtags.png (17.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by patvdv : 27th July 2006 at 04:06.
Old 28th July 2006, 14:07
Guru

Pat,

Am I doing something wrong - I can get advanced search to work. Even if I put in my user id. In this case I was leaving all the extra tag fields blank.

Thanks

GO Cards!
My latest mantra - make sure you have latest stpapi patches and the latest session object. If on LN then please explore the option of using DAL2 functionality.

Play the Google game and help Baanboard get better rankings. Do your part. Click here to find how.
Old 29th July 2006, 15:17
Board Master

Mark,

What exactly are you trying to do? If you want to look on one of the extra fields/tags only, you need to:
  1. untick the "exact name" box first, unless you want to search for a set of posts by a particular user. Annoying I know but there does not seem to be a way around it.
  2. enter a search term (min 3 chars) under "Key Word(s) like you would normally do.

The second one is more than annoying and I am going to see if there is a way we can get the search to work by just excepting a tag value only.

Old 30th July 2006, 22:47
Guru

I did "clear search preferences". The the only thing I entered was my logon mark_h - no matches(with and without exact name set). I was not trying to use the new tag fields. I tried searching on "files" with/without my logon. Nothing seems to work for me on the advance search. It happened both at work and at home.

GO Cards!

Sponsored Links
Old 31st July 2006, 17:19
Guru

Attached is one search that does not work. I must be doing something wrong and I can't figure it out. Tried with and without exact name checked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image6.jpg (136.6 KB, 8 views)

GO Cards!

Old 31st July 2006, 17:46
Board Master

Hi Mark,

Strange. I tried it with a test account, used the settings as show below and got plenty of results:
Attached Images
File Type: png search1.png (42.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png search2.png (35.3 KB, 2 views)

Old 31st July 2006, 17:47
Board Master

Hi Mark,

That one would not work because you did not enter any keyword(s). Odd that the extra threadfields are centered in Internet Exploder.

Old 31st July 2006, 18:13
Guru

I have tried with and without keywords. I just deleted all files and cookies, relaunched IE, and still no luck. Can't seem to figure it out - even searching from home fails. If I get a change I will try netscape at home to see if I get different results.

Thanks

GO Cards!

Last edited by mark_h : 1st August 2006 at 03:20.
Old 1st August 2006, 03:20
Guru

Well both IE and netscape work from at home today. Will try work again tomorrow.

GO Cards!

Old 1st August 2006, 13:18
Guru

Nope - nothing works on the advanced search at work. I have tried, deleting all cookies, purging all files and rebooting. IE is all I have access to at work. Any ideas?

GO Cards!

Old 1st August 2006, 17:39
Board Master

Mark,
I think I found the problem. Give it another whirl.

Old 1st August 2006, 19:46
Guru

YEAH - it works. Thanks!!!

GO Cards!