Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > CMS - Forum Integration > Polls and Surveys

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
For ERP LN feature pack upgrade, what method of install are you using?
Installation Wizard into existing VRC
37%
Installation Wizard into new VRC
39%
Manual into existing VRC
3%
Manual into new VRC
21%
Total votes: 38

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

View Poll Results: Getting the New Posts at Baanboard: Cookie-based or Database-tracking?
I prefer the old way of getting New Posts (cookie-based; list reset at each visit) 25 50.00%
I prefer the new option of getting New Posts (database-tracking; tailored to each user) 25 50.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30th January 2006, 18:49
Board Master

patvdv is on a distinguished road
Baan: n/a - DB: n/a - OS: AIX, HP-UX, Linux
Checking New Posts on Baanboard: Cookie vs Database tracking?

Hi all,

With the recent upgrade of the forum software, the mechanism to determine which posts are new for each user has also been changed or rather enhanced. I would like to hear the democrate vote off the members on this so please choose your favorite option after reading the explaination below.

The majority vote wins, even it means reverting the forum back to the previous mechanism. The poll will stay open until 31st March.

Theory:

The forum can operate in one of the following three manners:
  1. Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (ie 15 mins) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.
  2. Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum. This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.
  3. Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.
Before the upgrade only the first option was available. Now we have switched to the third option which presents each user with an individually tailored list of which posts are new/unread, not just since your last visit but overall.

Practice:

Let's illustrate with an example of how what the main consequences are from switching to cookie-based to database-tracked tracking.

First, how would the screen of new posts look like before (using the View New Posts since Last Visit link):

Cookie-based tracking
cookie_tracking.png

Then secondly, the next picture shows how a selection of new posts might look with database-tracking (using the All Unread Posts link):

DB-based tracking
database_tracking.png

You will notice that the second screen shows the same information as the first but adds to that all other threads for which a user still has unread posts.

Questions:

Question: When using database tracking: how does the forum know when a thread should be marked as 'read'?
Answer: Either by the user reading all posts in the thread or by the user marking the thread as read using the Mark Forums As Read option. This marking can be done either on a global forum level (for all sub forums) or one individual forum.

Marking posts read for ONE forummark_forum_read.png
Marking posts read for ALL forumsmark_all_forums_read.png

Question: When using database tracking: will posts that I have not read be kept indefinatively in status 'unread'?
Answer: No. All your unread posts will be marked as 'read' 60 days after they have been published.

Related threads

Patrick Van der Veken - Admin & Founder - (c) 2001-2017 baanboard.com/baanforums.com

Last edited by patvdv : 30th January 2006 at 19:01.
Old 30th January 2006, 20:59

steveauckly is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IVc4 SP26 - DB: Oracle 10g - OS: Windows XP Pro
old way...but,

I voted for the old way based solely on being able to see all messages since last visit. This is the way I used to keep up with the board. That way, I could choose not to read a post and it wouldn't show up the next time. The current way lists all unread posts even if I had seen them before but chose not to read them. If the new way wins, I won't be disappointed however.
Old 30th January 2006, 21:40
Guru

mark_h will become famous soon enough
Baan: Baan 4C4 A&D1 - DB: Oracle - OS: Sun Solaris
Like Steve I voted for the old way, but it really does not matter to me. Usually I read the ones I want to read and then mark everything read.

GO Cards!
My latest mantra - make sure you have latest stpapi patches and the latest session object. If on LN then please explore the option of using DAL2 functionality.

Shared Solutions for Baan systems provided free by Baan Board.
Play the Google game and help Baanboard get better rankings. Do your part. Click here to find how.
Old 30th January 2006, 22:14
Guru

dave_23 will become famous soon enough
Baan: All - DB: Oracle / MS SQL / DB2 - OS: All
It's silly, but i wish i could turn on the 'New' way for the forums I care about and the 'Old' way for the rest of the site.

Dave
Old 31st January 2006, 03:15
Guru

tjbyfield is on a distinguished road
Baan: baan4c4 - DB: oracle 805 - OS: AIX 4.3.3
New way far better

The new way is far better from my point of view.

With the old way there were many times where the session went stale due to my having to answer urgent calls and/or fix problems but not wishing to log off.

How about an extended trial period to give everyone a bit of time to get used to the new ways before reverting.

Terry
Old 31st January 2006, 12:59
Board Master

Terry,

This is exactly one of the big advantages of the database-tracking method. I have intentions of changing the current mechanism until 31/03 but we could extend that period of course.

Patrick Van der Veken - Admin & Founder - (c) 2001-2017 baanboard.com/baanforums.com
Old 31st January 2006, 16:12
Guru

en@frrom will become famous soon enough
Baan: B50B - DB: Oracle 8.0 - OS: Win2k AS
I also voted for the old way, for when I enter baanboard, I want to see all new posts since last visit. The new method shows unread posts from previous visits also.

The big advantage of course of the new method is when I start looking at the new posts, get interrupted, CLOSE the window, and then later log on to the site again. But if it's choosing one or another, I still prefer the older method.

Regards,
En
Old 8th February 2006, 03:57
Guru

tjbyfield is on a distinguished road
Baan: baan4c4 - DB: oracle 805 - OS: AIX 4.3.3
Not enough voters

Pat

One problem is that only 23 of the 1000's of users have voted.

Very pleased that you will reserve your judgement for a while yet.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Terry
Old 8th February 2006, 10:34
Board Master

Terry,

Yes I also would like to obtain a larger population of votes. The poll still runs until 31th March so there will definatively be no change before then.

Old 9th February 2006, 16:53

Evert-Jan Bosch is on a distinguished road
Baan: IV, V, SSA ERP LN 6 - DB: oracle - OS: AIX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbyfield
The new way is far better from my point of view.

With the old way there were many times where the session went stale due to my having to answer urgent calls and/or fix problems but not wishing to log off.
I totally agree!
Old 9th February 2006, 17:41
Guru

jclju1 is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IV, Baan 5.0c, SSA ERP LN 6.1 - DB: bisam, Oracle, Informix, Sql Server - OS: Unix (all), Windows
I voted for the old way, because I want to see all new posts since last visit.

Regards,
Jovan
Old 10th February 2006, 11:56
Board Master

I think some people are still missing the point: with the new tracking you can still see 'new posts since last visit'...

Old 10th February 2006, 12:57

j_hass is on a distinguished road
Baan: BaanERP LN 6.1 PPM - DB: Oracle - OS: IBM AIX / M$
The most effective way to check baanboard for new unread posts is to bookmark the following link in your browser:

http://www.baanboard.com/baanboard/search.php?do=getnew

(works only when cookies are accepted and properly stored)

I prefer the new way.
Old 14th February 2006, 14:08
Guru

EdHubbard is on a distinguished road
Baan: 4c4 MCR - DB: MS SQL Server 2000 - OS: Windows 2003 Server
Is there a way to exclude certain forums?

e.g. for me, I would prefer not to see "recruitment" and non-English forums.

apologies if this information is available on the board, but I couldn't find it if it is.

Ed
Old 14th February 2006, 14:37
Board Master

Ed,

Yes but only in a 'unsupported' way. You have to construct the URL to the New Posts yourself, e.g.:

http://www.baanboard.com/baanboard/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=10,38,65,66,67,68,69,74

Where the numbers behind the exclude parameter are the ID's of the forums you want to exclude. You can find the ID of a forum by hovering over its title on the homepage.

Last edited by patvdv : 14th February 2006 at 19:41.
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread