Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > CMS - Forum Integration > Polls and Surveys

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
For ERP LN feature pack upgrade, what method of install are you using?
Installation Wizard into existing VRC
37%
Installation Wizard into new VRC
39%
Manual into existing VRC
3%
Manual into new VRC
21%
Total votes: 38

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

View Poll Results: Wintel Environments - Separate Production and Test Servers?
We run our Baan test and production environments on a single server 8 20.00%
We run our Baan test and production environments on separate servers 32 80.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2nd July 2003, 19:38

terryw is on a distinguished road
Baan: IVc3 - DB: Oracle - OS: HP-UX
Wintel Environments - Separate Production and Test Servers?

We're looking at moving from an HP-UX/Oracle/Baan IVc3 environment to a Windows 2000 Server/MS-SQL/Baan IVc4 environment. As part of this project, I'm trying to determine what the best server configuration is for our production and test environments.

For those of you running in this environment, how many are running separate servers for their test and production environments?
Old 9th July 2003, 19:21

terryw is on a distinguished road
Baan: IVc3 - DB: Oracle - OS: HP-UX
Question Wintel Users - Separate Servers?

First of all, thanks to everyone who has participated in this poll!

If you are currently running Baan in a Wintel environment, and are running separate production and test servers, I would appreciate your input regarding a few questions I have related to this environment.

1.) What is your Baan user count?

2.) What size servers are you running in your test and production environments? Are the two servers identical?

3.) What are the undelying reasons for your running separate test and production servers? Is it due to concerns at the OS level, database level, or application level (or all three)?

4.) What database are you running Baan on?

5.) It seems that running a two server Baan environment would require a great amount of discipline on the part of the system administrator (must keep detailed logs of changes made to each system, and must keep the two servers "synchronized" when it comes to OS, database, and Baan updates). I'm interested in hearing about any challenges you've faced in this area.

6.) Has anyone heard whether the Baan software licensing agreement will be the same under SSA-GT as it was with Invensys? Some ERP products I've worked with would not allow runnining the ERP software's test and production environments on separate servers. The licensing was more system specific, and did not allow for installing the software on two different "systems".

Well, as always, thanks in advance for your responses! I really appreciate everyone's input. Have a great day!
Old 9th July 2003, 21:14
Guru

NvanBeest is on a distinguished road
Baan: BaanIVc4 - DB: Oracle, TBase, SQL Server - OS: AIX, Linux, Window$
As for your last question, I don't think that SSA-GT can change the Baan licensing agreement or software.

Therefore, you will not have any problems with seperate environments, since you can share the licence daemon across multiple machines. On the production machine you can then always strip the development sessions from the menus, or at least hide them, and development/testing is thus restricted to the development machine.
Old 10th July 2003, 00:02
Guru

EdHubbard is on a distinguished road
Baan: 4c4 MCR - DB: MS SQL Server 2000 - OS: Windows 2003 Server
We have 36 user licence and only acquired our separate test server by default. We were upgrading from 4c3 to 4c4 and it was so expensive to hire a temporary server to test that we looked around and found a factory rebuilt Compaq Proliant almost same spec. as our live box for less than 10% of what we paid for it.

After the upgrade it became our test/development box.
We don't keep them in synch. too well to be honest - currently one is running SP11 on test, whilst our live is still on SP9.

I would now advise any site to have a separate box for testing Baan, OS & database as there have been numerous issues and "features" to catch you out at all those levels!

On NT environment, one definite advantage of having a separate test/development box is that you can have it set up so that it's main package combination is not in shared memory whereas on the live box it normally would be in shared memory - hence saving many reboots (as I often find stopping and starting the shared memory service is not enough).
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread