Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > Baan SIGs > AFS/DDC/OLE: Function servers

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Google search

Poll
How big is your Baan-DB (just Data AND Indexes)
0 - 200 GB
16%
200 - 500 GB
27%
500 - 800 GB
3%
800 - 1200 GB
11%
1200 - 1500 GB
11%
1500 - 2000 GB
14%
> 2000 GB
19%
Total votes: 37

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 22nd March 2013, 15:06

SandraDiehl is on a distinguished road
Baan: IV C - DB: Oracle - OS: Linux
Question Convert custom APP from Oracle Access to SQL

Any suggestions would be wonderful. I am in the process of created a new BaaN server going from Oracle to SQL but we have a custom Application we have created called RIB (Rapid Entry of Items and BOMs) that is a VS2005 using VB application connecting to BaaN via a Web Services that has the functions RunOleDB, RunOracleDB and RunOracleODP; these functions are needed to connect to BaaN as well commincate with BaaN custom DLL's that I have created that will authicate user's permissions, create Standard/Custom Items, Create Standard/Custom BOM's...yada yada.

Duh this isn't going to work with SQL and I'm not the one that created the VB App (BaaN developer is my role) and person who did is no longer with the company. So now I need to figure out (don't want to remove the web service logic just in case they go back to Oracle) but I like to create the connection to SQL and swap out the Oracle reference to the new SQL reference.

Searches have not provided me with enough knowledge to do task...I'm thinking I may need an ODBC connection (which had to create for the Vertex application to work)

Attached is the VB code for the Web Services as well VB code in the application using the calls. Any suggestions on how I can switch from the Oracle Connection to a SQL connection where it will continue to work with current calls to BaaN libraries would be great!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip RIB Code.zip (20.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 22nd March 2013, 21:31
Guru

mark_h will become famous soon enough
Baan: Baan 4C4 A&D1 - DB: Oracle - OS: Sun Solaris
Well - I do all of this in BaaN sessions. Basically they read a file and call custom BaaN DLL's to create items and BOMs. That would be one option is to just write a baan session to call your already created custom DLL's. In this case I do not think it matters what the database(oracle or sql) is in the backgroup.

The second option, and I will try some searchs later, is to search this forum and look for how to call the DLL's using VB. I know I can write an excel macro using the VB code to call those DLLs I mentioned above, just never really done it. So you should be able to search this forum to see how to open a connection in VB to baan(how to login) and then call a custom BaaN DLL you already have. I do not see where this option would matter what the database(Oracle or SQL Server) is in the backgroud. I did not unzip your code because I am definetly not a VB code and I am not sure I would understand what you all did for Oracle. Everything I have done around excel and vb coding is database independent.

Not sure if this helps or not.

GO Cards!
My latest mantra - make sure you have latest stpapi patches and the latest session object. If on LN then please explore the option of using DAL2 functionality.

Shared Solutions for Baan systems provided free by Baan Board.
Play the Google game and help Baanboard get better rankings. Do your part. Click here to find how.
Old 25th March 2013, 23:18

LisaBencic is on a distinguished road
Baan: Most - DB: Most - OS: Most
The main diff for Oracle vs SQL is the t$ , change your queries to use t_ instead. I am not sure though, like Mark said, why there are different baan Web Service calls for Oracle/ODP/OLE, the Baan side should all use Baan SQL. But somehow your VB code is passing Oracle SQL (t$), so I guess the Baan side is oracle specific somehow? Seems like the problem is that, it should not be DB specific to call the web services - that's kind of the point. Are there oracle connections made directly in the Baan script?

Also, if you must write db queries for Oracle AND Sql, do not use ODBC if at all possible, use Ole, it is much faster.
www.crossroadsrmc.com
Old 27th March 2013, 13:30

SandraDiehl is on a distinguished road
Baan: IV C - DB: Oracle - OS: Linux
A little back ground on this application....we designed a graphic ability to enter Items (standard and custom) as well as construct BOM's (standard and custom)...BaaN isn't "user" friendly when it comes to creating items or BOM's so we provided them with a GUI interface that they only had to enter key information for the items, the BaaN DLL would create the items based on the default items to provide the required field information. Now for the BOM's the user is provided with a view that has Custom Items in one pane and Standard Items in another that allows for searching based on item number or item descriptions allowing wild cards. The user then drags the item into the BOM pane and builds the BOM....if they place a "sub-assembly" onto the structure it will appear collapsed allowing them to open it to see all available items that builts it. Prior to creating the BOM in BaaN, the user has the ability to Print the structure which will be in HTML format (uses IE window) which they can give to the head Engineer who approves it prior to committing to BaaN. Built in logic allows the user to save the BOM to continue working on later, or it can be passed off to a different engineer by assignment change...see the attached powerpoint if interested on this looks and works. So yes I could create a BaaN session to call my library, but we don't have the graphic ability to drag items or show the BOM in multiple levels while building.

Doing more research he actually used a combination of straight up ole logic which was when he made calls to my BaaN library, but he used the Web Services for Oracle when he was reading tables to return a data set...this is where I get lost now...I actually rather avoid changing the logic from t$ to t_ and make it more NONE db specific just in case these people decide to go back to Oracle or GOD help us a different database completely.

I am including the source where he does all the table reads...also found some additional notes on speed timing; I guess when using ole logic it was A LOT slower than using the Web Services for Oracle...I guess I will deal with that when somebody complains right now I just have to get the darn thing working with the new database. So any suggestions on converting the current calls to the web services to use ole (actual script command would be great since not a VB person)...at the point the calls are made BaaN object is open, users are prompt to sign into BaaN.
Attached Files
File Type: zip modTables.zip (2.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: ppt RIB_Application.ppt (639.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by SandraDiehl : 27th March 2013 at 13:47.
Sponsored Links
Old 29th March 2013, 21:22

LisaBencic is on a distinguished road
Baan: Most - DB: Most - OS: Most
Well, nothing that I have found directly in Visual Studio has made the SQL itself compatible with Oracle or SQL. you would have to go the other way, bring the queries into Baan and return sets.

Using OLEDB instead of ORACLE or MSSQL inside of Visual Studio for the queries does allow you to write all the calls using oledb object, instead of separate ones for oracle vs mssql, but you still need to update the syntax of the query for which is being called.

Edit: There is a difference/confusion. Queries using OLEDB are not much slower than ORACLE vs MSSQL specific. Neither involves Baan - just querying the database from within your VB code. Using OLE to communicate with Baan to run your libraries IS slower (and you get that login if you don't store it) - than using say..Infor Connector for Web Services. Sorry I am not a VB person either, and I don't use OLE for many years and then just in trial.
www.crossroadsrmc.com

Last edited by LisaBencic : 29th March 2013 at 21:33.