Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > Baan Quick Support: Functional & Technical > Tools Administration & Installation

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Google search

Poll
How big is your Baan-DB (just Data AND Indexes)
0 - 200 GB
17%
200 - 500 GB
17%
500 - 800 GB
6%
800 - 1200 GB
6%
1200 - 1500 GB
17%
1500 - 2000 GB
17%
> 2000 GB
22%
Total votes: 18

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 24th December 2002, 10:49

p.cole is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IVc4 SP20, ERP LN FP3 - DB: MSSQL 2005 - OS: W2K3
Link between Baan Users & Database Users

How do people use the "Maintain Links between BAAN Users and Database Users" (ttdba0110m000)?

Do you have multiple database users, one for each baan user?

Or, since the table & field permissions can be set in Baan, only have one Database user linked to many Baan users?

I am setting up B4c4 SP11 on W2K, SQL Server 7. I can see a saving in administration by only using one database user, but are there any downsides?
Old 24th December 2002, 14:14
Guru

Darren Phillips is on a distinguished road
Baan: IV4c4 SCH1 SP14 /AGS2 - DB: SQL7/sql2000/Oracle 9 - OS: NT4 Enterprise / win2000/3
That is how our system is setup and have not found any downsides to it.

I am migrating our B4c4 SP10 on NT4, SQL Server 7 to a new server and upgrading to B4c4 SP11 on W2K, SQL Server 7 over the holiday so any problems and or their solution found on W2k during your installation would be useful.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 26th December 2002, 06:27
Guru

Francesco is on a distinguished road
Baan: 5b - DB: Oracle - OS: Solaris
From an Oracle perspective, I would always use a one on one relationship, if only to be able to link Oracle processes back to their originator (easy).

I recently thought to outsmart Oracle by limiting our test server to a single DB user and thus safe a few bucks on licensing fees, but my DBA ensures me that it doesn't work that way.

bummer.

Francesco

Admiral Business Solutions | My World | Baan Board | IT Happens!

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" -- George Patton
"It's easy to cry 'bug' when the truth is that you've got a complex system and sometimes it takes a while to get all the components to co-exist peacefully." -- Doug Vargas
Old 2nd January 2003, 08:12

KlayVessel is on a distinguished road
Baan: 3b2, 4(b-c4), 5c - DB: Oracle 7, Oracle 8, MS-SQL, Informix - OS: HP-UX, AIX, Tru64, Sun, NT, Linux
Quote:
Originally posted by Francesco
From an Oracle perspective, I would always use a one on one relationship, if only to be able to link Oracle processes back to their originator (easy).

I recently thought to outsmart Oracle by limiting our test server to a single DB user and thus safe a few bucks on licensing fees, but my DBA ensures me that it doesn't work that way.

bummer.
This is not a problem with oracle and one user -- oracle tracks operating system user, process PID of the caller, program name, etc. So there are plenty of ways to link the user and oracle connection even when using a single database user....well if the client (Baan' db driver) is on NT there might a problem, but that would be an NT issue; under *nix I know the OS user is properly recorded.

As for licensing, Oracle DB by default doesn't track licenses, though I think something can be turned on. But then, you would blow out your license anyway as, when purchased with Baan, Oracle sells you a copy licensed for the same number of users you purchased Baan for. However, Baan actually makes more than one connection to the db for a single Baan user (typically at least one connection per open session). Thus, if you purchased 100 users and you have 100 Baan users logged in; with single db user name or multiple db user names, oracle would still see >100 users connected to the db (probably 300-500 connections). Of course, your DBA may be thinking that oracle is using the caller's PID and hostname to ensure uniqueness. I don't think so, but I've never really dug into this too deeply; again, oracle db does not normally track licenses at least none that I've installed and worked with (starting with 7.0.6 and through 8.1.7; haven't worked with 9i yet).
Old 5th January 2003, 21:19
Guru

EdHubbard is on a distinguished road
Baan: 4c4 MCR - DB: MS SQL Server 2000 - OS: Windows 2003 Server
SQL 2000

We upgraded to SQL 2000 from SQL 7 and it works well for us; just follow the Baan upgrade guide.

We have just one database login for users and that works well enough for us. Incidenatlly, SQL shows only that user logged in so by my reckoning you only need to licence that one user for SQL 2000.
Old 6th January 2003, 11:41

Lokendra Kumar is on a distinguished road
Baan: B40c3, B40c4 - DB: MS-SQL Server 7.0, DB2 Version 5, Oracle 8.0.4, Informix - OS: Windows - NT, 2000, Unix
Hi p.cole,
Happy New Year to you.

It seems that u are little bit confused. In baan on NT/SQL or W2K/SQL 2K scenaria baan creates only single db user (baan) at the time of installation.

The session "Maintain Links between Database user and baan user" update/appand the user file in baan directory. The db user always remain same as baan. As per the SQL 2K user license is concerned you need to buy only minimum user license (5 users).
It will work for 1 user or 1000 users.

Hope this will clear you doubts.

Good Luck......
Old 13th March 2003, 20:09

tina.guntner is on a distinguished road
Baan: T2.2, T3.1, B4c4 - DB: tbase, Oracle - OS: HPUX
question relating to BaaN/Oracle link

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
We have 48 concurrent BaaN licenses with approx. 75 'potential' users. BaaN is the only application using Oracle, and Oracle license is based on named users.
How can I create a 'many to one' link between BaaN and Oracle?
What I am trying to do is this, still have the individual user logins in BaaN but link multiple BaaN users to the same UNIX/Oracle user. Will this work and how would I set this up? If it will work what kind of 'quirks' could we have with more than 1 user doing data input in the same session?

B4c4 on SP9/HPUX 11/Oracle 8.1.6
Old 13th March 2003, 20:25
Guru

victor_cleto is on a distinguished road
Baan: none (B40c4 was last) - DB: Oracle - OS: Linux (RHEL)
That is easily feasible:
- create the user login in UNIX
- create the user login in Oracle
- create the needed Baan logins using the same "unix login"
- create the needed entries in ora_users with ora_maint6.1, always using the same oracle user/password
(or create one and then replicate the same line for the remaining users by changing just the first login:...)

Remember that all users will use the same unix login/password (not very secure) and that you need to set -- -set USER=BaanLogin on each BW of each user.
Each user will be identified in Baan by it's own Baan login, so for Baan that is not a problem, but you cannot audit who is doing what from Oracle and UNIX point of view.

I don't suggest to keep this setup on a production environment, for auditing/security reasons of course.
Old 15th March 2003, 00:42

patrickmonks is on a distinguished road
Baan: Triton 2.2, Baan IV b2, c4 - DB: Bisam, Oracle 7-8, Informix - OS: Aix,Solaris, NT, Unixware
Hi Tina

Changing your users to a many to one link will not reduce
the number of Oracle license’s you need. It is important to understand what Oracle defines as a “Named User”. The number of “Named Users” are not the number of user’s you have created in your database. (I have been down this road with Oracle).

Oracles definition of a Named User follows:
Named User: is defined as an individual authorized by you to use the programs which are installed on a single or multiple servers, regardless of whether the individual is actively using the programs at any given time. A non human operated device will be counted as a Named User etc etc……

From this you will need a (75 + # Baan Job dm’s) Named user license.
Old 20th March 2003, 01:34
Guru

dave_23 will become famous soon enough
Baan: All - DB: Oracle / MS SQL / DB2 - OS: All
It is VERY important that you all speak with your Baan sales reps.

At this time Baan and Oracle's agreement supports a 1:1 Baan / Oracle license setup.
(not sure about other DBs)

If you're just using Baan in your database its even possible to get a cheaper limited use license through Baan.

Good Luck! don't spend extra if you don't need to!

Dave
Old 22nd March 2003, 00:28

fmorais is on a distinguished road
Baan: B4c4 - DB: MSSQL, Oracle, Informix, BBase - OS: Windows, AIX
One advantage of 1:1 relationship

Hi all,

Going back a little on this thread,

In terms of user administration is better to have 1 to many relationship in terms of Baan User/Database User.

However, and this is something not reffered until now, if you someday encounter performance problems on your system and need to find out where the load is in terms of DB processes and the users causing it, you will find the need to have a 1:1 relationship.

Never say it won't happen to you....

I'm not saying the second option is better, just giving something else for you to think about when deciding.

Best regards
Fred
Old 22nd March 2003, 02:51
Guru

dave_23 will become famous soon enough
Baan: All - DB: Oracle / MS SQL / DB2 - OS: All
1:1

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about the ora_users file, I meant that you can do a 1:1 relationship between Oracle licenses and Baan users. You don't have to do oracle's tier pricing and you don't have to worry about # of connections (baan makes quite a few per driver..)

Although I do 100% agree, 1:1 ora_users relationship is the only way to go for a production system.

Dave