Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > Baan Quick Support: Functional & Technical > Project & Services

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Google search

Poll
How big is your Baan-DB (just Data AND Indexes)
0 - 200 GB
18%
200 - 500 GB
26%
500 - 800 GB
3%
800 - 1200 GB
9%
1200 - 1500 GB
12%
1500 - 2000 GB
12%
> 2000 GB
21%
Total votes: 34

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 11th September 2003, 09:55
Guru

en@frrom will become famous soon enough
Baan: B50B - DB: Oracle 8.0 - OS: Win2k AS
Service module in Baan

Hello all,

At our company we currently do not have the Baan Service module implemented. We now have to start using a service package to follow up the service and technical reparations of sold machines.

We are browsing the different options; i.e. external service packages, and also the Service module of Baan. I personally do not know this module at all, but I am getting a presentation from Baan on the Baan Service. We run Baan 5.0b.

Can anyone who has experience with this module please give me some feedback. I want to know the advantages, the disadvantages, problems, improvements, etc etc. Also towards the user, is it very user-UNfriendly??

Please advice. Thanks very much in advance!!

En.
Old 11th September 2003, 10:14
Guru

NvanBeest is on a distinguished road
Baan: BaanIVc4 - DB: Oracle, TBase, SQL Server - OS: AIX, Linux, Window$
Hi En

From experience in the BaanIVc4 arena, the customers are quite happy with Service, up to a certain point. There are shortcomings Profuse has a Service Branch model, which extends the basic functionality to a much more acceptable level. Whether it is available for B50b, I have no idea! As for user friendlyness, well, it is Baan! There are some nice third-party tools available for GPRS and PDA connections by the field engineers, with a web-based user interface. The one I personally know is iMOS from a Dutch company called TriOpSys. Their web-site is in Dutch only (at this point in time), but they gave me a (crudely) translated version of their product information. This is attached.

Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: zip imos-uk.zip (18.2 KB, 162 views)
Old 11th September 2003, 10:50
Guru

Nico, thanks a lot for your quick reply!!

As for Profuse: I didn't find any specific information about relevant products around Baan-Service. Is that what you mean they have? They have utilities integrated with Baan Servie to 'optimise' and improve the module? Can you please be a little more specific?

As for Triopsys: at this point we will need the service module for our internal service department. So, no field workers involved for now.

In basic the flow and require functionality is as follows:
1) call taken in from customer
2) customer sends machine in (cia courier-service)
3) technical worker diagnoses problem and makes quotation
4) quotation becomes the service order and invoice
5) some customers (with internal technical departments) will only order parts. This should be also supported. So when call comes in, user will enter either repair-window, or order-parts window
6) stock and inventory etc

Thanks again!

En.
Old 11th September 2003, 11:06
Guru

NvanBeest is on a distinguished road
Baan: BaanIVc4 - DB: Oracle, TBase, SQL Server - OS: AIX, Linux, Window$
The branch model is an add-on to Baan, much like a localization. Maybe OmeLuuk can give more info!?

As for the points you mention, it sounds feasible.

For the demo by Baan, have a list of specific questions ready, and ask them to show you the answers. Don't give them the opportunity to sell 'compiled air'! Might be that they changed over the last years, I haven't been involved in a sales traject during that time, but before, they would say everything is possible, and we, the techies, had to provide what they promised! No easy task!
Sponsored Links
Old 11th September 2003, 11:14
Guru

I know what you mean, and that is exactly the reason I posted this message..!! I want to get as much feedback as I can in order to be as ready as possible, and be able to shoot questions and recognize bragging.... .
Old 11th September 2003, 23:05
Guru

EdwinvdBorg is on a distinguished road
Baan: 2.2, 3.1, b40, b50, b51, ERP LN FP3, ERP LN FP7, ERP LN 10.2.1 - DB: ALL - OS: ALL
BAAN V Service features and functions for depot repair

Hi En,

As far as I know the Service branch model made by Profuse only works with BAAN IV and not with BAAN Vb and all the add-ons created by BAAN and BAAN partners are focused on field repair service. Not on depot repair as in your case.
Your company is in a better shape being on BAAN V than on BAAN IV if you are looking at the possibilities for depot repair.
BAAN V can be set up in different ways depending on how your depot repair facility is organized. There may be a routing for repair and you also may be dealing with things like temporary replacements and loaners where your customers receive a machine for the time being until their own machine is repaired.

I do not know if your company also works with service & maintenance contracts and (sales) warranties or if all the repair work you do has to be invoiced.
BAAN V will be able to handle all these scenarios and the good thing is that you can also keep track of the installed products of your customers. There may have been changes made to these products used by your customers and in BAAN V Service you can keep track of the different versions of these configurations. You will be always working with an active version but the previous versions are there for information purposes.

The biggest issues that I have seen implementing and working with existing BAAN V Service customers are:

- How to easily locate in BAAN V Service the product and serial number the customer sent in
- How to make sure the proper determination is done whether the customer receives an invoice or if the repair is covered by the contract or a warranty
- In case you use Call Management in BAAN Service it will be very hard to perform Escalation Management properly and to do things like automatic e-mail notifications if certain conditions are not met (for example sending an automatic e-mail to the Service manager in case a certain response time is not going to be met)
- How to integrate BAAN V Service with a CRM application. Some companies want repair tickets to be initiated by customers themselves over the internet or the ability of (sales and service) people in the field to create a new ticket. Even iBaan CRM does not integrate with BAAN V Service.

The advantage of using BAAN V Service is that it will be integrated with rest of BAAN V. You may be using Sales Order Management for selling the products and there is a session in BAAN V Service that will automatically pick up the items on the sales order lines to create Configurations and Objects (your installed base information). You also have the possibility to see your E-BOMs, P-BOMs and S-BOMs all together. Further more integrations with BAAN V Warehousing, BAAN V Enterprise Planning (order-based planning), BAAN V Purchase Order Management, BAAN V Tools Maintenance Planning (in Manufacturing), Central Invoicing and Finance.

Especially customers in the US have problems with the way BAAN V Service handles all the revenue recognition issues in relation to Service Contracts in BAAN V Service and the US GAAP standards. In Europe these issues usually do not apply.
If BAAN Development did what it was supposed to do then this major issue for North America has been resolved in BAAN VI Gemini.

If you are going to select an external service package all the integrations I just mentioned will not be available out-of-the-box and you have to build them as you go.
Would you want to do that as customizations or use a more global approach by using BAAN Open World or a web services platform like Cordys?

If you have specific questions please mail them to me at evdborg@hotmail.com. I have worked more than 12 years in the Service & Maintenance industry and more than 7 years with BAAN Service (versions 2.2, 3.1, IV and V) in both Europe and North America.
Good luck with your demo!

Regards,

Edwin
Old 12th September 2003, 10:48
Guru

Thanks Edwin for your helpful response!

We will look carefully into the different options / packages, and then come to a decision. If I have any further questions / requests, I will contact you via mail.

Kind regards,

En.