Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > General Topics > General Discussion & Chat

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
How big is your Baan-DB (just Data AND Indexes)
0 - 200 GB
17%
200 - 500 GB
29%
500 - 800 GB
3%
800 - 1200 GB
7%
1200 - 1500 GB
7%
1500 - 2000 GB
13%
> 2000 GB
23%
Total votes: 69

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 1st December 2006, 17:35
Guru

ulrich.fuchs is on a distinguished road
Baan: IV, LN6.1 - DB: --- - OS: ---
Smile Christmas Wishlist

I recently found a wishlist for Java on javalobby.org, so I thought it would be a nice idea to post one here concerning Infor/SSA/Baan software. Perhaps you'd like to share your thoughts about these points or add some new, these are mostely the annoyances of *my* last year with the software, but I think, you will have had similar ones.

Dear Santa,

I want for christmas
  • a graphical report editor in the software, so we can finally do Logo printing out of the box and use some other but fixed-width fonts for numbers which would still properly get right aligned. Just like the report editors of any little rat-shop's software do...
  • that the silly adress handling in ERP LN would be reworked, and that adresses get a primary key by business partner, order type, order number and (a long) sequence number, where business partner and order can be empty
  • that the even more silly "segmented domain" concept gets dumped and that project and item are two distinct fields again. Same goes for the cluster in the planning items.
  • that development license and sources are delivered free of charge as part of the standard installation
  • that the scripts get cleared of all hard-coded session names, so that it will be easy again to copy a session into a new code and just change the form, without the session changing it's behaviour like it's doing it now
  • that Infor software engineers would understand, that decoupling packages is nice, but that it's at best pointless to copy a two page sales order position text to a two page warehouse order position text to a two page invoice line text, and that they have been causing a nightmare for anyone trying to figure out where some functionality resides in the sources.
  • that they would realize, that sales price surcharges > 100% (negative discounts) are daily business in some operations, so there's no reason to give that domain a lower limit of -100
  • that Infor finds back to way of doing business in kind of a partnership way with their customers and professionals in the area, and that they will stop those distressing SSA business methods like forcing the customers to install spyware, trying to kick freelancers out of business and so on. ERP business is all about the customers trusting their vendor still being there in five years, so vendors should avoid any impression that they desperately needed any buck they can get by any means.
  • that the software becomes a GNU GPL licenened open source free software (ok, this one is hard, let's postpone it until next christmas)
  • that the software would offer more standard methods for hiding the ever increasing complexity of the product (like having eight item data session) from the customers (I'm looking forward to test the new multi-table-feature promised with porting set 8.3), so the end user experience gets better
  • That the software engineers can keep up the great work they have done so far with the multi-main-tables, DALs and dynamic form editor. Folks, that really helps us a lot on the customers site!
  • a graphical report editor within(!) ERP LN (just don't forget it)
  • That users can customize away the grey background of forms and that we have a way to programatically change the background color and font color of a field.
  • That two sum fields in a report could be used to do a percentage calculation, without needing to user their internal number (total..4)
  • a pricing module that is as flexible as the current one, but that users are able to understand.
  • that one also could do gross pricing, where the vat gets substracted to give the net value, instead of the other way round.
  • that even more parameters are overridable by master data entities (e.g having more of the warehousing parameters again as a property of the warehouse), so we get more flexibility
  • the porting set guys find a way that allows us to reconfigure tables safely on a production system without the users needing to log out and without our pulse always quickening to 220 because we fear that terrible error 512 to pop up afterwards for whatever reason...
  • an IDE that could do auto-completion (including some drop-down feature for table fields, of course) and parameter proposing for Baan-4GL-syntax

Ok, dear Santa, I better stop here now - I don't want to appear voracious. So, please send all the above nicely wrapped in in a new release january 2007...

many thanks in advance,
Little Ulrich
who still believes in you

Dipl. Ing. Ulrich Fuchs
- ERP consulting and software development -
Widumestraße 18 - 44787 Bochum - Germany
mail@ulrich-fuchs.de - www.ulrich-fuchs.de
http://all-in-for-erp.com (Blog zu Infor LN))

New hotness: Call from Infor LN 4GL into any database using BfIA-JDBC (binds JDBC into LN 4GL)
Old 1st December 2006, 18:31
Guru

mark_h will become famous soon enough
Baan: Baan 4C4 A&D1 - DB: Oracle - OS: Sun Solaris
Great wish list! Lets not limit any options to LN, but all versions of Baan.

I would like to also add - how about a report defined variable containing that last page number before a report actually prints.

GO Cards!
My latest mantra - make sure you have latest stpapi patches and the latest session object. If on LN then please explore the option of using DAL2 functionality.

Shared Solutions for Baan systems provided free by Baan Board.
Play the Google game and help Baanboard get better rankings. Do your part. Click here to find how.
Old 1st December 2006, 19:54

p.cole is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IVc4 SP20, ERP LN FP3 - DB: MSSQL 2005 - OS: W2K3
1. Update/ditch the internal report writer. Integrate with JasperReports instead of Cyrstal? It's 2006 not 1985.
2. Integration with Barcode solutions as standard.
3. I too can't grok the address formatting in LN.
4. Make the "in-place" editing of PCF constraints as easy as in Baan IV.
Old 2nd December 2006, 07:35
Guru

EdwinvdBorg is on a distinguished road
Baan: 2.2, 3.1, b40, b50, b51, ERP LN FP3, ERP LN FP7, ERP LN 10.2.1 - DB: ALL - OS: ALL
I do not have the intention to be the Grinch who spoiled your 2006 X-mas but BaanBoard is definitely not the right medium to place such wish lists.
Perhaps it is better to send your list directly to the Infor Santa in Atlanta, GA, USA.

Edwin
Moderator BaanBoard
E-Mail: edwin@baanboard.com
Old 5th December 2006, 09:43
Guru

Paul P is on a distinguished road
Baan: BaanIV, BaanERP - DB: SQL Server, Informix, Oracle - OS: Windows, HP-UX
But Santa Claus is an employee of Infor, and as we know some Infor employees do log in to BaanBoard. So who knows that Santa Claus also logs in to our BaanBoard . Merry Christmas, guys!

Rgds,
Paul

Visit my technology consulting blog
Old 12th December 2006, 21:27

steveauckly is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IVc4 SP26 - DB: Oracle 10g - OS: Windows XP Pro
breakpoints

How about the ability to set a breakpoint in code (if compiled in debug mode)? This would help when you've got a section of code buried in a function and the debugger won't let you set a breakpoint until you get into that function.
Old 12th December 2006, 22:42
Guru

NPRao will become famous soon enough
Baan: Baan 4-5,5.2(Reger),LN-6.1,Infor LN-10.x - DB: Oracle,MS-SQL - OS: HPUX, Linux, Windows
Steve,

If I understand you correct this option should enable you to do that-

stop in <function>

Stop execution when function is entered.

Refer to - Debugger commands
Old 1st April 2009, 17:00

garias is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IV b2, c2, c2 mcurr, Baan V ERP, Infor LN - DB: Oracle, Informix, SQL - OS: AIX, Solaris, Windows NT
Baan and LN wishlist

Hello Ulrich:

Nice list... although this list was 2 years, it will be important to know how many of these wishes have been accomplished.

Good Look

Gerard
Sponsored Links
Old 1st April 2009, 17:04

garias is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IV b2, c2, c2 mcurr, Baan V ERP, Infor LN - DB: Oracle, Informix, SQL - OS: AIX, Solaris, Windows NT
Mark:

Are there some news in your important suggest ??
Quote:
I would like to also add - how about a report defined variable containing that last page number before a report actually prints.
regards.

Gerard
Old 8th April 2009, 15:03

Medtun is on a distinguished road
Baan: ERP LN - DB: sqlsertver 2005 - OS: Windows 2003
I would like to add:
"Free tutorials and documentation available on internet".
Old 8th April 2009, 17:10
Guru

ulrich.fuchs is on a distinguished road
Baan: IV, LN6.1 - DB: --- - OS: ---
@garias: Obviously I didn't behave too well the last years. Santa had no presents for me...

Uli

Dipl. Ing. Ulrich Fuchs
- ERP consulting and software development -
Widumestraße 18 - 44787 Bochum - Germany
mail@ulrich-fuchs.de - www.ulrich-fuchs.de
http://all-in-for-erp.com (Blog zu Infor LN))

New hotness: Call from Infor LN 4GL into any database using BfIA-JDBC (binds JDBC into LN 4GL)
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:05

Medtun is on a distinguished road
Baan: ERP LN - DB: sqlsertver 2005 - OS: Windows 2003
4 years after, the list is still relevant.
No doubt Infor is making great job through the different releases of ERP LN.
But, it would be really nice that at least, one guy from Infor writes something on this post...
ahh...the graphical report editor...lol
Old 14th February 2019, 13:35
Guru

OmeLuuk is on a distinguished road
Baan: Infor LN 6.1 10.2.1 - DB: MS SQL2008 - OS: VM WindowsServer2008R2
Cool Wish you were here

Well, who believes in Santa nowadays anyways?
Old 14th February 2019, 14:30
Guru

mark_h will become famous soon enough
Baan: Baan 4C4 A&D1 - DB: Oracle - OS: Sun Solaris
I do. He brought Oracle EBS this past xmas.

GO Cards!
My latest mantra - make sure you have latest stpapi patches and the latest session object. If on LN then please explore the option of using DAL2 functionality.

Shared Solutions for Baan systems provided free by Baan Board.
Play the Google game and help Baanboard get better rankings. Do your part. Click here to find how.