Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > Baan Quick Support: Functional & Technical > Tools Development

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
As a Customer What would do to keep your ERP Implementation intact
Proactively define Business Process-- Take the Project Ownership
60%
Handover everything to System Integrator from drawing BP till implementation of ERP
0%
Hire more inhouse skilled & capable IT Resource to work directly with SI
40%
Rely on SI Architects/Consultants
0%
Total votes: 5

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 15th July 2020, 11:26

okneb1 is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IV to LN 10.6 - DB: SQL or Oracle - OS: Win/Unix
Number of decimals on numeric domain (numeric data vs. display format)
Baan: Other/Unknown
C/S: None/Unknown

Hi,

There is a requirement for 6 decimal places on quantity in BOM.
Stand. domain is tiqbm2 with numeric data:
Code:
digits before decimal 15
digits after decimal 4
and display format of
Code:
Q04, which is ZZZZZZZ9VD9999

If I now change the display format to ZZZZZ9VD999999, I can now insert my 5th and 6th decimal value on the LN session, despite the domain still having 15/4 as its numeric data. For example, my value inserted on LN session is:
Code:
If I now check with gen. table maintenance in BW I can still only see the 4 decimal places (3.0000) but in the database (direct query on the DB), there are values stored on the 5th and 6th decimal place (3.000003). I can also see the 3.000003 value displayed on the LN session.

My understanding was that display format only serves for the definition of display on form and report, while numeric data serves for the actual structure of data in the DB. But it seems this is not true.

In my case, I can override my domain structure with a display format. This to me seems like a dirty override. Is this a suitable workaround for enabling 6 decimal places on BOM quantity?

Can anyone share any experiences with this?
Why can I save 6 decimal (defined in display format) places in the DB on a domain that has structure of 4 decimal places?

Thank you for any help.

Regards
Old 15th July 2020, 17:33
Guru

mark_h will become famous soon enough
Baan: Baan 4C4 A&D1 - DB: Oracle - OS: Sun Solaris
Well not sure about the table maintenance. But when we change domain sizes we had to recompile forms and scripts to get it showing correctly after we did a CRDD on the domain and tables impacted. But with this being a tools session I can't remember us having to do anything around it seems our home grown tables then showed correctly in it. We were 4c4.

GO Cards!
My latest mantra - make sure you have latest stpapi patches and the latest session object. If on LN then please explore the option of using DAL2 functionality.

Shared Solutions for Baan systems provided free by Baan Board.
Play the Google game and help Baanboard get better rankings. Do your part. Click here to find how.
Old 17th July 2020, 16:51

okneb1 is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IV to LN 10.6 - DB: SQL or Oracle - OS: Win/Unix
@mark_h
Thank you for your input, but my question is more of a "is this change for BOM quantity from 4 dec. to 6 dec. places" recommended with changing display format?

This will surely affect other standard LN sessions/forms/reports that use this display format.
I'm now wondering what is the correct way to go here: customer requires 6 or 7 decimals places for BOM quantity, instead of the stand. 4 decimal places for this domain.

I also suspect a lot of stand. LN processes are implemented with certain conditions; one of them being BOM quantity with a domain of 4 decimal places.

Let's say some stand. LN process is calculating some multiplication of
"var A = quantity B x BOM quantity". Var A is some stand. var with 4 decimal places, but I now introduce my BOM quantity with 7 decimal places into this equation. Result of multiplication will lose decimals 5, 6, and 7.

Does anyone have some experience with changing decimal places on the stand. domain for BOM quantities and how this affected overall processes in LN?
Sponsored Links
Old 20th July 2020, 14:12
Guru

mark_h will become famous soon enough
Baan: Baan 4C4 A&D1 - DB: Oracle - OS: Sun Solaris
I would not recommend it - but it is possible. Just too many places I would want to check to make sure they work.

GO Cards!
My latest mantra - make sure you have latest stpapi patches and the latest session object. If on LN then please explore the option of using DAL2 functionality.

Shared Solutions for Baan systems provided free by Baan Board.
Play the Google game and help Baanboard get better rankings. Do your part. Click here to find how.
Old 1st August 2020, 01:45
Guru

shah_bs is on a distinguished road
Baan: BAAN IVc3 with A&D2.2b - DB: ORACLE 9 - OS: HPUX
These comments are for BAAN IV c3 with ORACLE back-end.

Any numeric field is defined in the underlying ORACLE as type NUMBER with no explicit definition of decimal places.

And it has been a while, but as far as I remember, BAAN seems to save by default up to 6 places of decimals if allowed to enter as such from the screen.

So, when the format on the FORM is changed to allow more decimal places to be entered the entered value will be SAVED in the database as such. Its visual representation depends on the Display Format. Since the Display Format is governed by the DOMAIN definition, that is the reason why General Table maintenance programs show only up to 4 places of decimal.

It would need a certain level of impact analysis to change the domain definition to the desired number of decimal places. Could be a 'big' project.
Not a weekend activity for sure.