Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > Baan Quick Support: Functional & Technical > Manufacturing & Supply Chain

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
As a Customer What would do to keep your ERP Implementation intact
Proactively define Business Process-- Take the Project Ownership
50%
Handover everything to System Integrator from drawing BP till implementation of ERP
0%
Hire more inhouse skilled & capable IT Resource to work directly with SI
50%
Rely on SI Architects/Consultants
0%
Total votes: 2

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 19th May 2020, 10:02

Millsaw is on a distinguished road
Baan: 4C4 Service Pack 15 - DB: Oracle - OS: Server 2003
Baan Newbie, Looking for Learning Resources, Offset Lead Time Questions
Baan: Baan IVc4

Hello, new to forum, fairly new to Baan.

I appreciate that this is an extremely broad question, but working on principle of don't ask, don't get, got any resources (beyond your good selves) for someone looking to do their best to get a grounding on everything MRP/CRP in Baan?

My first question might be an indicator of where I'm at:

I want to switch to using Lead Time Offset so every job has the same one- or two-week lead time that we use to plan, all the way down through far out broad strokes planning right down to production time. We currently calculate all lead times by routing but because of flexibility allowed to shop floor to manage themselves, we plan with fixed build times of one or two weeks on each job, don't go any more granular than that, and just throw them all into a week's production together.

So therefore fixed lead times would be more suitable, because a job in a given week may not be completed on a lead time based on routing which could be 2 days, when we allow 5. Baan is therefore showing calculated delivery dates that are mostly false.

While I can figure out how to set up Lead Time Offset (it's an Item Data thing, no doubt), my concern is what other dependencies might be affected if I make this change, and what effects this might have that I haven't considered. Our Baan sysadmin doesn't "know anything about LTO, never used it".

If someone can direct me to a learning resource that would help someone in my position, I'd appreciate it. In current climate (we're lucky to still have an order book), nobody is getting sent on courses or anything like that, so it's a self-help environment, there's no one else, and need to stitch our MRP method back to something useful.

Any replies much appreciated .

EDIT: I've edited this to something bit shorter than before lol, you don't need my life story

Last edited by Millsaw : 19th May 2020 at 14:48.
Old 19th May 2020, 14:58
Guru

mark_h will become famous soon enough
Baan: Baan 4C4 A&D1 - DB: Oracle - OS: Sun Solaris
Should be an interesting discussion. Seems kind of a same to have an ERP system which if setup correctly, data entered correctly, process followed and it would plan correctly - but hey we do the same thing. I think our planners just look for ways to make it difficult. If you have support you should be able to find guides on the infor site around planning and lead times. I used to have some PDF files but those are long gone and current ones from infor would be best.

We always used backwards planning since we knew when we needed to deliver an end item. Hopefully you have a test company where you can go play. I would look to have something planned in production with the same planned in test. Make changes run GRP and compare.

We always calculated lead time - the idea was just in time. We played with work center settings, calendars, routings and safety time, operation overlap, etc. to get the best out of planning we could based off how we work. So it took us a while to get to what we thought worked for us. I forgot to mention - we are more of a job shop than repetitive manufacturing. A lot of our end items take more than 1 year to complete.

Bottom line - go to infor and get some documents. Read on the parameters, the planning and lead times and how it all plays together.

GO Cards!
My latest mantra - make sure you have latest stpapi patches and the latest session object. If on LN then please explore the option of using DAL2 functionality.

Shared Solutions for Baan systems provided free by Baan Board.
Play the Google game and help Baanboard get better rankings. Do your part. Click here to find how.
Old 20th May 2020, 22:06

Millsaw is on a distinguished road
Baan: 4C4 Service Pack 15 - DB: Oracle - OS: Server 2003
Thanks for reply . I shall do that.

Right now I'm struggling with the calculated lead times as there seems to be two different versions of logic behind it depending on what screen you view.

I have a job which To Do List says will take 91 hours. It's transferred as a Production Order (no longer MRP). If I go to Print Production Planning by Order, it gives dates with all picking and assembly Ops performed in 2 days (with dates), total 91 hours. And yet on demand planning screens it gives a delivery date of 9 working days after start date (this prod order is planned with Forward planning).

Obviously there's some capacity calculation going on, but why the discrepancy between the two screens?

There's a chart screen I'm aware of, "Chart of Week Utilization by Work Center" tircrp0715m000, that gives a nice bar chart showing hours against capacity. The hours for the week concerned (or at least the week I'm expecting to be concerned) show only 70 hours utilization against a capacity of 90. What's that about, when we know the job will take 91? Unless it's using the two-day completion version as described on the other screen, in which case the job wouldn't even run in that week as it's released on the Thurs and is finished on the Friday in the previous week, all done before the expected week starts, so the bar chart must be showing the utilization from a job that I would be expecting to be in the following week after that.

Confused lol
Old 21st May 2020, 14:44
Guru

mark_h will become famous soon enough
Baan: Baan 4C4 A&D1 - DB: Oracle - OS: Sun Solaris
Well - never messed with forward planning. It seems (If I recall correctly) there were a couple of differences. But I can't imagine why it would look different. PS - Just so you know my main background is a developer in baan. Years ago (15 or more) we developed our own Capacity reports using the baan planning data - so we had a production company and a simulation company. We limited who could get into the sim company. Our code ran in production, but would pull planned, actual information from production and then simulation data from the sim company. For example we could then see which work centers might be bottle necks if we received and release the simulated orders.

For the ticrp0715m000 - it is basically saying you have a capacity of 90 hours in the work center for that week. We have 70 hours of planned worked for the work center - depending on how you run it. So you should be able calculate each work centers capacity by looking at the work center and the calendar you use. Here is where you would need documents from Infor. I used to have some documents that showed how baan calculated it - then we went off and developed a whole series of reports showing different calculations. We developed all of our own stuff based off the baan capacity tables using the tisfc011(or 12), tipgc611(or 610). A simple query on those tables would show us what baan orders (planned or in sfc) were going thru that work center.

I am hoping others respond - but I would search the support site for capacity, leadtime, and planning. It takes a lot of reading from what I recall. Back in the day we had some real manuals - but those are all gone now.

GO Cards!
My latest mantra - make sure you have latest stpapi patches and the latest session object. If on LN then please explore the option of using DAL2 functionality.

Shared Solutions for Baan systems provided free by Baan Board.
Play the Google game and help Baanboard get better rankings. Do your part. Click here to find how.
Sponsored Links