Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > Baan Quick Support: Functional & Technical > Tools Development

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
Is it good to change the Technology per business or changing Business per Technology?
Change Technology per Business
64%
Change Business according to Technology
7%
It Depends
29%
Never change Business
0%
Total votes: 14

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 28th September 2021, 16:41
Guru

OmeLuuk is on a distinguished road
Baan: Infor LN 6.1 10.2.1 > 10.7 - DB: MS SQL2008 - OS: VM WindowsServer2008R2
Extensions - Extensibility - is it used?
Baan: Infor ERP 10.7
C/S: Both

In the long forgotten days we were all quite active programming and sharing knowledge we came across. When I scan some of the latest posts here we can still see some active members-of-old and many youngsters asking questions.

And there is still something to learn. But when I search for posts on new technology like Extensions (which is quite powerfull to replace "old style Own-programming code") there are not so many posts.

So are you old programming guru's away from Baan? Or stuck with the old-school development? Or actually also (like myself) moving towards Extensions?
Old 28th September 2021, 16:47
Guru

mark_h will become famous soon enough
Baan: Baan 4C4 A&D1 - DB: Oracle - OS: Sun Solaris
Well - the company decided that we only needed one MRP system. I won't go into politics, but we ended up converting to Oracle EBS. I wish we had converted to LN and then I am sure I would be asking lots of questions. Now I am just toughing it out until I retire in a couple of years.

GO Cards!
My latest mantra - make sure you have latest stpapi patches and the latest session object. If on LN then please explore the option of using DAL2 functionality.

Shared Solutions for Baan systems provided free by Baan Board.
Play the Google game and help Baanboard get better rankings. Do your part. Click here to find how.
Old 28th September 2021, 20:31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_h View Post
...but we ended up converting to Oracle EBS....
One more down. Think that the technology is great, but became too complex, too much overkill in most cases. Sad to see you being put on the dead end road.
Old 28th September 2021, 20:39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmeLuuk View Post
... Think that the technology is great, but ...
We find it hard to find assistance even in Infor when it comes to adapting to the new platforms and technology. Would like to be more of an advocate to the new feature rich direction, but it has a steep learning curve and appears not to be mature. Lacks tooling and coherence. - or I miss some crucial information...
Old 28th September 2021, 23:27
Guru

vinceco252 is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IVc3, IVc4, 5b, 5c, ERP LN 6.1, Infor ERP 10.x - DB: SQL Server, Oracle - OS: Windows, Linux, HPUX, AIX, (a little bit of) Solaris
We're doing it for our customers (we're a consultancy) but there are challenges in finding training/references.

Vince
OST
vmurphy@ostusa.com
Old 29th September 2021, 09:57
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceco252 View Post
... but there are challenges in finding training/references...
Indeed, like in "They built it for us, but we hardly believe in it" (been there, done that)
Old 4th October 2021, 14:35

andreas.toepper is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan4, LN6.1 - DB: MSSQL - OS: Linux&Windows
We migrated from LN 10.2 onto LN 10.7 and started using extensions, trying to avoid standard source code modifications as much as possible. We'll, extensions are quite powerfull, but sometimes you still do miss something.
But you'll be more restricted if you start using extensions AND LN in the cloud. We're on premise, so we're still good to use DLLs and functions as we want to.

Extension still use the good old 3GL/4GL syntax. So it's still good old "baan" coding most of the time. I wished we've already had extensions, when LN was introduced.

We did find training on extensions before we started migrating (ITC Hannover/Germany).
Old 5th October 2021, 13:51
Guru

VishalMistry has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Baan: Baan IV, ERPLn - DB: SQL Server 2000 / 2008 - OS: Windows Server 2003 / 2008
Just to share my thoughts on LN Extension...

If you are a Classic tools developer and want to dive into new technology development like LN Studio / LN Extensions. It is very difficult to find resources on internet.

If you are lucky enough, you may get little help from Infor support guys. Even I had a very difficult time learning about Extensions. I logged few incidents and was lucky enough to get help from Infor Technical guys.

I would request you to refer to Extension Development Guide which may clear your fundamental and also get you started.

Vishal
Old 5th October 2021, 20:05
Guru

Post Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishalMistry View Post
... If you are a Classic tools developer
you also need to be aware that although written in 4GL things are basically different (like the lack of derivation structure, working with activities and not the least using the Public Interfaces (like a new intermediate interface abstraction layer). At first I started to use the standard provided AddValue function that later appeared to be a define. Then I wrote a number of own defines to be able to use "LN tablefieldnames from tools" as XML Identifiers. And even later yet (when debugging) I saw that all those defines refer to one DLL call.
Quote:
... It is very difficult to find resources on internet.
Even here on our own BaanBoard. But it may be a good idea to help one another once more in the "WonderWorld of Baan" when taking those next steps along with Infor.

Quote:
... you may get little help from Infor support guys. Even I had a very difficult time learning about Extensions. ...
As if there are no programmers left...
Quote:
I would request you to refer to Extension Development Guide which may clear your fundamental and also get you started.
It is helpful, but for me it did not bridge the gap between "what I know" and "what I need to know". Like "Unlike 4GL where you can call DLL functions, in the Extension layer ..." and "If your need a Public Interface for a non standard function call, this is the way to go". I must say that JaapJD does a good job here!
Old 5th October 2021, 20:11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.toepper View Post
... started using extensions, trying to avoid standard source code modifications as much as possible.
Courageous! Chapeau
Quote:
...But you'll be more restricted if you start using extensions AND LN in the cloud. We're on premise, so we're still good to use DLLs and functions as we want to.
So are we. We added extensions for new functionality only. All old customized and completely new software was just ported.
Quote:
We did find training on extensions before we started migrating (ITC Hannover/Germany).
Which training did you take?
Old 6th October 2021, 07:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmeLuuk View Post
Which training did you take?
We asked for a specific training on how to use extensions. Ah, and I did mix up things (sorry).

This specific training, was not provided by ITC, but by an developer of our LN partner, who already used extensions for some time. (Had some Mingle training from ITC around the same time. But we ended up not using Mingle.)

We where using our own LN 10.7 installation in the training to get things started.
Old 6th October 2021, 08:08

There something I'd like to mention: LN is still evolving
When we started using extensions in LN the when.field.changes hook was not available in maintenance sessions. Infor added this hook with a tools solution.
We also requested some process extensions from Infor. I did not expect this to happen, but Infor implemented those real fast. (Some of the process extensions already existed in the cloud version and had to be backported to LN 10.7.)
Those added extensions are added by application solutions, not tools solutions. So it may be helpful to update your installed LN during the development, to get the latest updates on extensions.

Process extension are a new way of filtering processed data. I started with suppressing purchase order positions during printing to get a hand on how it will work. I think this is the only “big” new thing.
I have not used report extensions, there may be some other “big” new things like modifying the xml-data file (I think you can modify the selected data on its way to the report object).
Sponsored Links
Old 6th October 2021, 09:14
Guru

Reports

Reports indeed appears to be a totally different story now (at last), haven't touched it yet, since we also use a 3rd party document formatter.
Old 6th October 2021, 15:23

We're still using windows server printer (so it's still bwprint.exe on the print server). As far as I can tell, the new report designer and report extensions will require pdf as output. So this is still no option for us.
Old 6th October 2021, 15:32
Guru

vinceco252 is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IVc3, IVc4, 5b, 5c, ERP LN 6.1, Infor ERP 10.x - DB: SQL Server, Oracle - OS: Windows, Linux, HPUX, AIX, (a little bit of) Solaris
My understanding is that it outputs to tmp PDF - if you are using a printer device, it will use the ES reporting service/cloud transfer service/whatever they call it now to send the PDF to the printer.
OST
vmurphy@ostusa.com