Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > General Topics > About Baanboard.com

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
For ERP LN feature pack upgrade, what method of install are you using?
Installation Wizard into existing VRC
35%
Installation Wizard into new VRC
42%
Manual into existing VRC
3%
Manual into new VRC
19%
Total votes: 31

Baanboard at LinkedIn


Reference Content

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17th January 2005, 17:11
Francesco's Avatar
Francesco Francesco is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Antwerp, BE
Posts: 727
Francesco is on a distinguished road
Baan: 5b - DB: Oracle - OS: Solaris
New SIG suggestion

How about starting a SIG for Baan migration?

I predict this to be one hot topic this year.
__________________
Cheers,

Francesco
..............................................................

Admiral Business Solutions | My World | Baan Board | IT Happens!

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" -- George Patton
"It's easy to cry 'bug' when the truth is that you've got a complex system and sometimes it takes a while to get all the components to co-exist peacefully." -- Doug Vargas
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17th January 2005, 19:32
~Vamsi's Avatar
~Vamsi ~Vamsi is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego CA, USA
Posts: 590
~Vamsi will become famous soon enough
Baan: ~*~ - DB: ~*~ - OS: ~*~
To or from ;-).
__________________
~Vamsi
Vamsi Potluru
Baan XL Yet another tool to format Baan output in Excel from Baan Board
This one just happens to be free :)

Play the Google game and help Baanboard get better rankings. Do your part. Click here to find how.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17th January 2005, 20:00
Francesco's Avatar
Francesco Francesco is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Antwerp, BE
Posts: 727
Francesco is on a distinguished road
Baan: 5b - DB: Oracle - OS: Solaris
In!

__________________
Cheers,

Francesco
..............................................................

Admiral Business Solutions | My World | Baan Board | IT Happens!

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" -- George Patton
"It's easy to cry 'bug' when the truth is that you've got a complex system and sometimes it takes a while to get all the components to co-exist peacefully." -- Doug Vargas
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18th January 2005, 11:45
patvdv's Avatar
patvdv patvdv is offline
Board Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,167
patvdv is on a distinguished road
Baan: n/a - DB: n/a - OS: AIX, HP-UX, Linux
Hi Francesco, good suggestion but I have 3 comments/questions I'd like to see answered:

1) Until the uncertainty over the future of Baanboard.com (see SSA) has been lifted, the site is 'frozen' regarding new features/forums etc.

2) Why would a migration SIG be better than discussion in the Tools & Admin forum?

3) If we do create a new SIG, I need a volunteer to comb through existing posts and move previous migration related posts to the new SIG.
__________________
Regards,

Patrick Van der Veken - Admin & Founder - (c) 2001-2017 baanboard.com/baanforums.com
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #5  
Old 18th January 2005, 13:59
Francesco's Avatar
Francesco Francesco is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Antwerp, BE
Posts: 727
Francesco is on a distinguished road
Baan: 5b - DB: Oracle - OS: Solaris
whaddayatalkinabout...Willis?

Uncertainty over the future of Baanboard?

Just say the word and we'll organize an email campaign that will sway SSA's directives _and_ win you the People's Choice Awards.

ad 2: There are quite a few bravehearted fools (including yours truly) who will endeavour in an LN migration this year. It would be nice to have questions and experiences grouped for easy reference.

ad 3: I'll be more than happy to help out.
__________________
Cheers,

Francesco
..............................................................

Admiral Business Solutions | My World | Baan Board | IT Happens!

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" -- George Patton
"It's easy to cry 'bug' when the truth is that you've got a complex system and sometimes it takes a while to get all the components to co-exist peacefully." -- Doug Vargas
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20th January 2005, 21:11
mark_h's Avatar
mark_h mark_h is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 6,905
mark_h will become famous soon enough
Baan: Baan 4C4 A&D1 - DB: Oracle - OS: Sun Solaris
Ssa...

Quote:
Just say the word and we'll organize an email campaign that will sway SSA's directives _and_ win you the People's Choice Awards.
Here! Here! I think everyone should tell their account reps NOW to leave BaanBoard alone.

Mark
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20th January 2005, 21:28
patvdv's Avatar
patvdv patvdv is offline
Board Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,167
patvdv is on a distinguished road
Baan: n/a - DB: n/a - OS: AIX, HP-UX, Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_h
Here! Here! I think everyone should tell their account reps NOW to leave BaanBoard alone.

Mark
Any support is very much appreciated folks. And it may or may not be needed. At the moment I am still waiting from an official response from SSA regarding 'baanboard.com'. It seems to be a pretty difficult assessment for them.
__________________
Regards,

Patrick Van der Veken - Admin & Founder - (c) 2001-2017 baanboard.com/baanforums.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21st January 2005, 03:39
tjbyfield's Avatar
tjbyfield tjbyfield is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 356
tjbyfield is on a distinguished road
Baan: baan4c4 - DB: oracle 805 - OS: AIX 4.3.3
The make some stupid mistakes but...

Patrick

I think the vast majority of users/members of this wonderful forum will want to make sure that you cannot be put in a precarious legal position because you run the board. But all of those same people will be eager to do whatever needs to be done so as to keep you on the air (even if it meant that you had to sacrifice a new manual)

A suggestion that I have that may be of some future use (or comfort) to is to establish a type of member based upon whether they are associated with licenced customers, or experinced consultants (who hold influence over customers) or whether they are associated with ssa as either employees or official (blessed) partners, others could be grouped as just interested.

I think it should be mandatory for everyone to list their location and software environment and the basis of their membership. (I notice that there seem to be a lot of posts recently without these.) This may give you a better chance mustering genuine support if needed.

It may also help if an annual support charge became mandatory to cover all of your expenses.

Terry
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21st January 2005, 22:49
patvdv's Avatar
patvdv patvdv is offline
Board Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,167
patvdv is on a distinguished road
Baan: n/a - DB: n/a - OS: AIX, HP-UX, Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbyfield
Patrick

I think the vast majority of users/members of this wonderful forum will want to make sure that you cannot be put in a precarious legal position because you run the board. But all of those same people will be eager to do whatever needs to be done so as to keep you on the air (even if it meant that you had to sacrifice a new manual)
Thanks again for the support. But I am not sure what you mean by sacrificing a manual? Are you referring to the Programmers Guide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbyfield
A suggestion that I have that may be of some future use (or comfort) to is to establish a type of member based upon whether they are associated with licenced customers, or experinced consultants (who hold influence over customers) or whether they are associated with ssa as either employees or official (blessed) partners, others could be grouped as just interested.

I think it should be mandatory for everyone to list their location and software environment and the basis of their membership. (I notice that there seem to be a lot of posts recently without these.) This may give you a better chance mustering genuine support if needed.
The profile fields regarding Baan/DB/OS version are mandatory at registration time. However, this still does not prevent potential abuse as the fields have to remain freeform to cover the virtual endless amount of possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbyfield
It may also help if an annual support charge became mandatory to cover all of your expenses.

Terry
Now this is a highly contentious issue It would be great if some more pennies were to come in that way but:
1) One of the missions of the site is to remain free as long as realistically possible
2) Putting in a charge would probably (but I could be wrong) scare at least half of the members away as alot of members just simply expect Baanboard to be free. The pretty unsuccessful attempt at the donation system we tried to set up is a vague sign of this attitude.
3) By providing free services and running the site on a non-profit basis makes it more difficult for any party to undertake (legal) steps against the site.

In summary: instating an annual charge would have be considered very carefully.
__________________
Regards,

Patrick Van der Veken - Admin & Founder - (c) 2001-2017 baanboard.com/baanforums.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21st January 2005, 23:43
tjbyfield's Avatar
tjbyfield tjbyfield is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 356
tjbyfield is on a distinguished road
Baan: baan4c4 - DB: oracle 805 - OS: AIX 4.3.3
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by patvdv
...But I am not sure what you mean by sacrificing a manual? Are you referring to the Programmers Guide?...
Yes, I did mean the Programmers Guide. I have asssumed that you will not be given a new "Guide". Authority for the existing one was granted before SSA were in the picture, therefore shouldn't be a problem.


Quote:
Originally Posted by patvdv
...The profile fields regarding Baan/DB/OS version are mandatory at registration time...
I could be mistaken but I think I see a lot of posts where the "country" is not declared, perhaps less of a problem with configuration details. (Having the country is sometimes useful for better understanding of the questions.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by patvdv
...
It would be great if some more pennies were to come in that way but:...
Perhaps access to Programmers Guide could be to paying members. This may encourage a few more people to pay (this may also be less worring to SSA.)

I find it strange that regular users may not be prepared to make a small contribution, which is really an investment in whatever is there reason for participating here (fun/pastime, self development-acquisition of knowledge, help in their job etc.)

Terry
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22nd January 2005, 16:09
patvdv's Avatar
patvdv patvdv is offline
Board Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,167
patvdv is on a distinguished road
Baan: n/a - DB: n/a - OS: AIX, HP-UX, Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbyfield
Patrick
Yes, I did mean the Programmers Guide. I have asssumed that you will not be given a new "Guide". Authority for the existing one was granted before SSA were in the picture, therefore shouldn't be a problem.
That is correct. This is also the reason why I moved the Programmers Guide into the Wiki. That way members can update/enhance the guide themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbyfield
I could be mistaken but I think I see a lot of posts where the "country" is not declared, perhaps less of a problem with configuration details. (Having the country is sometimes useful for better understanding of the questions.)
Location is not mandatory. It would be very easy to make it so but it is still no guarantee that the entered information is actually correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbyfield
Perhaps access to Programmers Guide could be to paying members. This may encourage a few more people to pay (this may also be less worring to SSA.)

I find it strange that regular users may not be prepared to make a small contribution, which is really an investment in whatever is there reason for participating here (fun/pastime, self development-acquisition of knowledge, help in their job etc.)

Terry
Restricting access to the programmer's guide could be an option. Perhaps a poll could give us more insight into the willingness of members to pay a fee. Still, as long as Baanboard.com runs on break-even this is not a very important topic to me
__________________
Regards,

Patrick Van der Veken - Admin & Founder - (c) 2001-2017 baanboard.com/baanforums.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another suggestion mgakhar About Baanboard.com 1 24th April 2003 11:24
NEW: SIG for Baan Verticals and Enhancements patvdv About Baanboard.com 0 20th November 2002 21:21
NEW: SIG for performance/tuning problems patvdv About Baanboard.com 4 6th November 2002 07:27
Platform specific SIG Commandeur About Baanboard.com 4 24th August 2001 15:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:29.


©2001-2017 - Baanboard.com - Baanforums.com