Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > Baan SIGs > Performance & Tuning

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
For ERP LN feature pack upgrade, what method of install are you using?
Installation Wizard into existing VRC
37%
Installation Wizard into new VRC
39%
Manual into existing VRC
3%
Manual into new VRC
21%
Total votes: 38

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 25th February 2002, 16:09

JamesV is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IV/5 - DB: Oracle 7/8/8i,Informix, SQL Server, UDB - OS: AIX, HP-UX, Tru64, Solaris, NT/2000
On the optimizer_max_permutations

Here is the note from Metalink...

Quote:
OPTIMIZER_MAX_PERMUTATIONS restricts the number of permutations of the tables the optimizer will consider in queries with joins. Such a restriction ensures that the parse time for the query stays within acceptable limits. However, a slight risk exists that the optimizer will overlook a good plan it would otherwise have found.

The default value for this parameter is 80000, which corresponds to no limitation at all. Setting this parameter to a value less than 1000 normally ensures parse times of a few seconds or less.
This should always be set to a lower value (1500 is recommended) for Baan sites. The key indicator that you have a problem that can be fixed with this solution is long parse times reflected in the trace or profile options (ORAPROF, etc.).

-- Jim
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
jvandermey@ostusa.com
Old 18th March 2002, 23:02

telgar is on a distinguished road
Baan: IVb, IVc, ERP - DB: Informix, Oracle, Tbase - OS: Unix, AIX
Post Sessions opening slowly

Not sure if you have resolved this yet or not, but I had the same problem at one installation. They had turned on History for all users, this writes the users id, date and session code along with the time they open and close a session to the TIME.HIS file. the problem with this is that the file reads seq, in other words I had a 245 meg file that users had to wait to read to the end before it would open the session. I set up a script to copy this file out to an archive on a daily basis, which I kept for 7 days.

Check your user maintenance and see if history is turned on.

Hope this helps.
Old 19th April 2002, 21:52

P-Matt is on a distinguished road
Baan: IVc2 - DB: Oracle 8.1.6 - OS: NT 4.0
Talking Oh, and by the way.....

Well, well, well. It's been awhile.
Finaly fixed the problem people.

I had antivirus software installed on both my production and test boxes (test first of course and everything was good). (At the time, my production BaaN box was also a file server.) But, the antivirus software kept Dr. Watson'ing so I disabled it. (key word here is disabled.) This was the case on both the test server and the production server.

huh - what are the odds?

Turns out that disabling the software was not enough. I needed to UNINSTALL it. Once I uninstalled it, then configured and implemented the Shared memory manager, my sessions that used to take up to 33 seconds to open, now open in 5 seconds or less. I figure the software had to have something running in the background that I couldn't see - even tho I had it disabled.

So, my new rule is:

NO ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE ON A BAAN SERVER!!!

Live and learn eh?
Old 11th March 2003, 18:04
Guru

dave_23 will become famous soon enough
Baan: All - DB: Oracle / MS SQL / DB2 - OS: All
I hate to crosspost but I have a little different but similar subject.
I wasn't sure if i should bring it into this one, or if I should start new. So I started new..

http://www.baanboard.com/baanboard/s...&threadid=9210

Maybe its all the same problem...

Dave
Old 9th October 2003, 00:46

squaresh is on a distinguished road
Baan: B50c - DB: SQL2000 - OS: WIN2000
There is a fix about this problem in portingset 6.1c.07.01, specifically for NT/2000
(same fix in 7.1d.02 for B50c)

MaintBaanIVc: # 17883 (BDNT11130): Slow startup time of first session on Windows

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 11:15:47 +0200

Created on: MaintBaanIVc
Type: bugfix

Problem Description (Customer terms)
Startup of session is slow, in spite of the fact that the tabledefinition files for that package combination are pre-loaded into the Baan Shared Memory.
Problem only applicable for Windows platform. Specially sessions, which needs a lot of tabledefinitions, are very slow. Because the tabledefinitions are pre-loaded into the Baan Shared Memory you should expect that also first time startup is fast.
Old 21st November 2003, 15:38

PrinceUK is on a distinguished road
Baan: IVc4 - DB: MS SQL2000 - OS: Win 2003
Just a thought, but is your Porting Set up to date? Certainly the more recent porting sets (on NT at least) have improved session startup times generally.
Sponsored Links