Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > General Topics > About Baanboard.com

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
For ERP LN feature pack upgrade, what method of install are you using?
Installation Wizard into existing VRC
35%
Installation Wizard into new VRC
42%
Manual into existing VRC
3%
Manual into new VRC
19%
Total votes: 31

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 17th January 2002, 14:33

abennett is on a distinguished road
Can Location be made Mandatory

Is it possible to make location mandatory in peoples profile.

This would help especially on the job page, so as you can get some idea of the country where the requirement exists.

I know people could advertise for different countires, in which case they should state that, but if their location is known atleast it would give you a shot at a good guess.
Old 17th January 2002, 14:52
Board Master

patvdv is on a distinguished road
Baan: n/a - DB: n/a - OS: AIX, HP-UX, Linux
Possible

It is indeed possible to make one of the user fields required to fill out at user registration. However, I don't think this is essential to be the board and it is also a matter of personal choice whether you would like to disclose your location or not. The only exception being administrators and moderators.

Regarding your point about job posts. I would expect recruiters to give the necessary details in the post. The better the post, the more chance they will have of getting replies. It is a matter of putting in the effort from their side rather than us forcing people to disclose information.

Patrick Van der Veken - Admin & Founder - (c) 2001-2017 baanboard.com/baanforums.com
Old 21st January 2002, 14:08

Agree, but it doesn't happen

I agree with what you say regarding job adverts, that they should state location, but if you look at the current job page over 50% do not state location, which can be frustrating.

In my cynical view I assume the majority of these are in the US, and as the the world outside does not exist for them, they do not feel it necessary to state location. (That will get some people going!)

As for people not wishing to state location - I don't understand, I am not after there home address, I just want to know what country the person is from (or working).
Old 21st January 2002, 14:28
Board Master

Frustrations

Hi AJ,

I can understand your frustrations. I have the same concern when reading the posts in the Job Market. I am also based in Europe and wonder where these jobs are available. However, it is a matter of forcing people to provide information or whether they should be clever enough to do it themselves. Even if the location would be mandatory, there is still no safeguard against false information.

But here's an idea: you can throw a poll and see how the other members feel about this. If a majority agrees to make the location mandatory then we will reconsider it. It can be a simple yes/no vote.

Patrick Van der Veken - Admin & Founder - (c) 2001-2017 baanboard.com/baanforums.com

Last edited by patvdv : 21st January 2002 at 14:31.
Old 21st January 2002, 15:21

Jason is on a distinguished road
Baan: Triton, BaanIV, BaanERP - DB: Oracle - OS: HP-UX
good luck with your poll!

if the field were to become mandatory a member could indeed claim they were located in Timbuktoo when in actual fact they were living in Dagenham - but specifying the country might be useful and still leave some ambiguity for the member if the town was not mentioned.

You could also make a post in the jobs section requesting that all posts include details of the locations and that you would appreciate if members would voluntarily update their profiles with location information.
Old 22nd January 2002, 10:22

Sounds good to me !

A general post on the job page stating minimum requirements for a job advert is a good idea.

Such things as location, Contract/Permanent, Duration etc might be useful - it does only seem common sense, but looking at the adverts currently on there it appears it is lacking in many of the postings.

Apologies for winging soo much!
Old 22nd January 2002, 10:32
Board Master

announcement changed

AJ,

No apologies needed. The idea is to improve the site with the help of the members' feedback

Anyway, I changed the general announcement in the Job Market forum to include more details in the posts.

You can see the announcement here

Old 11th February 2002, 12:23
Guru

Ravenscross is on a distinguished road
Baan: Lots of different versions - DB: Most of them - OS: Almost all of them
With regard for the location of jobs descriptions, what about splitting the forum into US, UK, European and other locations, therefore making it far easier to leap into the sections you want to look at.

"Grace is there for only one reason, to fall from"
Old 11th February 2002, 20:22
Board Master

Too many forums

In itself not a bad idea but we don't want to overdo it on the amount of forums. A good job ad is one with proper details!