Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > Baan Quick Support: Functional & Technical > Tools Administration & Installation

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
What version of Baan have you installed
Baan IV
45%
FP3
3%
FP4
0%
FP5
0%
FP6
0%
FP7
3%
10.2 (incl. 10.2.1)
3%
6%
16%
19%
Other
3%
Total votes: 31

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 17th September 2013, 18:12
Guru

Eddie Monster is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IVc4 - DB: MS SQL Server 2008 R2 - OS: MS Server 2008 R2
Creation of Development/Test Environment
Baan: Baan IVc4
DB: SQL Server 2008 R2
C/S: None/Unknown

We are currently on the edge of a cut-over from a physical BaanIVc4 environment to a virtualized version of BaanIVc4. This migration also included the upgrading of the porting set from the 6x version to the 8x version and an upgrade to SLM licensing. We are virtualizing on VMware 5.1.

We were discussing how we would create a test/development environment and I am wondering if our theory could be tested by the combined knowledge of Baanboard.

In the virtual environment we have three servers:
  • Baan Server
  • Database Server
  • SLM Server

The plan would be to (my order my not be completely correct):
  • System Administrator would perform a 'cloning' operation through VMware to clone the Baan Server into the Baan Test Server
  • 3rd Party DBA would copy the Baan4 database into a Baan4Test database on the same Database Server
  • Change necessary configuration files on the Baan Test Server (still to be identified) and point it to the Baan4Test database
  • Make any necessary modifications on the SLM Server to recognize the Baan Test Server

Keeping in mind that our 3rd party DBA is a whiz with databases, they do not have Baan specific knowledge and that we are familiar with mostly programming not administration, I present some questions regarding the above:
  • If we clone the production server and create a test server from the clone and both servers are booted up they will both be pointing to the production database at the same time since the Baan services start automatically (and we cannot change config files until the test server boots up). Does this pose any danger to the production database and potentially corrupting it? --- could this be avoided by only booting the Baan Test Server up changing the configuration files to point to the test database, reboot and test (and verify) the connection before rebooting the Production Baan Server?
  • What resource/config files will need to be modified on the test server to point to the test database? (I believe $BSE/lib/msql_groups and $BSE/lib/msql_users need changed, but what else (if anything)?
  • We have scheduled tasks on the production server that would need to be disabled on the clone so users would not receive 'double' notification e-mails and such. Is there anything else through your experiences which would also be done
  • Any other lessons learned or pearls of wisdom to pass along?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time and consideration.
Old 17th September 2013, 22:32

GaryEd is on a distinguished road
Baan: 4c4 sp 30 - DB: SQL 2008 R2 - OS: Windows 2008 R2
Don't really have anything to add other than to say we are in the very early stages of a similar project so pls post as much detail of all you go through

One thing that is not really clear is whether you are creating a virtualized environment to test the VMWare set up before cutting over or you are creating a test/development environment in addition to a production environment on VMWare.
Old 17th September 2013, 22:35
Guru

We already have three virtualized servers (one for Baan, one for the database, and one for SLM). It is up and running. Users finished testing last week. All customizations and company 000 data is ported over and we are performing the final data migrations this weekend (keeping fingers crossed). Once we are up and stable for a few days we are going to focus on getting the development environment up and running.

Last edited by Eddie Monster : 17th September 2013 at 22:40.
Old 18th September 2013, 15:24
Guru

Han Brinkman has a spectacular aura aboutHan Brinkman has a spectacular aura about
Baan: All - DB: Oracle/ms-sql/db2 - OS: *nix/windows
Eddie,

The tabledef6.1 or tabledef6.2 contains the link to your database. Change that with an editor and then login, change it in your dd and convert it to runtime. That should do it.

Regarding SLM? Why having a separate server if you only use one infor product on one server?
Old 18th September 2013, 17:01
Guru

Servers

I will make note of the tabledef6.1 files. Thank you.

Regarding SLM, we have recently purchased Infor Mobility and Infor TimeTrack which will be implemented soon after the migration and creation of the test environment.

There is also a PLM initiative for 2014 and Infor PLM is a candidate.

An LN upgrade and Ion are potentially part of a 3-5 year strategy as well.

Wow.. now that I think of it, I should be getting an Infor T-shirt, key fob, or some other Knick-knack... I'm going to have to contact our rep!!!!

Last edited by Eddie Monster : 18th September 2013 at 17:32.
Old 18th September 2013, 17:23
Guru

bhushanchanda has a spectacular aura aboutbhushanchanda has a spectacular aura aboutbhushanchanda has a spectacular aura about
Baan: LN FP 1-9, 10.4, a little bit of Baan IV - DB: SQL Server 2008, Oracle - OS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Unix
Hi Han,

What does it mean when I have this line in my tabledef file:-

*:*:msql7(MSQL_SERVERHOST=.)

Does that mean it points to the database on the server itself and not a remote database? Sorry Eddie, I guess this post doesn't relate to your question, but I was just curious about Han's post.

Bhushan

Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow!
Old 19th September 2013, 14:01
Guru

Han Brinkman has a spectacular aura aboutHan Brinkman has a spectacular aura about
Baan: All - DB: Oracle/ms-sql/db2 - OS: *nix/windows
Bhushan,

Correct, it refers to the local instance. The name of the database can be found in the msql_groups file.

Regards,
Han
Old 19th September 2013, 15:01
Guru

bhushanchanda has a spectacular aura aboutbhushanchanda has a spectacular aura aboutbhushanchanda has a spectacular aura about
Baan: LN FP 1-9, 10.4, a little bit of Baan IV - DB: SQL Server 2008, Oracle - OS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Unix
Thanks Han.

Bhushan

Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow!
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:23

frsw194 is on a distinguished road
Baan: BAAN IV C4 - DB: SQL Server - OS: Windows 2003 R2
Hi Eddie,

How did you manage the migration? Was it from scratch or did you use a P2V process to virtualize your Baan application?

Thanks,

Olivier
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:42
Guru

Yes the migration was completed. We did not use the P2V process. We opted to utilize a 3rd party consulting agency to assist and performed a fresh installation to take advantage of upgrading from the 6x porting set line to the 8x porting set. We also changed from the classic licensing model to SLM. Overall everything went very well. The biggest problem we had was correcting permission issues as the user's session/module permissions did not migrate over properly. We also had a few issues with some runtime data dictionary hang-ups. It took the first 'go-live' week to correct all the little bugs and glitches but everything is running very well now.

Since everything is virtualized, creation/refresh of the development/test environments quicker and easier.
Old 10th December 2013, 14:01

Uxue__ is on a distinguished road
Baan: BAAN Ivc4 - DB: Oracle, MSSQL - OS: Unix, Wintel
Hello Eddie,

I would like to know if you have experienced any decrease in the performance of BAAN IVc4 in the virtualized environment. We migrated some months ago and we noticed that the refint.exe process has doubled and even tripled the execution times.
This is a big issue for us as the weekend is not long enough to run this reconfiguration process.
Sponsored Links
Old 29th November 2017, 16:52

pradeepcr is on a distinguished road
Baan: BaanIV - DB: Baan - OS: Windows 2000
Hi Eddie,
I know this goes back 4 years. We are in a similar situation now in addition to changing the OS from HP UNIX to Redhat Linux and DB upgrade from 9 to 12. Your steps are very good but wan't sure if they would work in our situation as well. Any suggestions and recommendations?

Also have a question on one of the steps below in the quotes. Can you mention what are the config files to be changed to point to the new DB.

"Change necessary configuration files on the Baan Test Server (still to be identified) and point it to the Baan4Test database"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Monster View Post
We are currently on the edge of a cut-over from a physical BaanIVc4 environment to a virtualized version of BaanIVc4. This migration also included the upgrading of the porting set from the 6x version to the 8x version and an upgrade to SLM licensing. We are virtualizing on VMware 5.1.

We were discussing how we would create a test/development environment and I am wondering if our theory could be tested by the combined knowledge of Baanboard.

In the virtual environment we have three servers:
  • Baan Server
  • Database Server
  • SLM Server

The plan would be to (my order my not be completely correct):
  • System Administrator would perform a 'cloning' operation through VMware to clone the Baan Server into the Baan Test Server
  • 3rd Party DBA would copy the Baan4 database into a Baan4Test database on the same Database Server
  • Change necessary configuration files on the Baan Test Server (still to be identified) and point it to the Baan4Test database
  • Make any necessary modifications on the SLM Server to recognize the Baan Test Server

Keeping in mind that our 3rd party DBA is a whiz with databases, they do not have Baan specific knowledge and that we are familiar with mostly programming not administration, I present some questions regarding the above:
  • If we clone the production server and create a test server from the clone and both servers are booted up they will both be pointing to the production database at the same time since the Baan services start automatically (and we cannot change config files until the test server boots up). Does this pose any danger to the production database and potentially corrupting it? --- could this be avoided by only booting the Baan Test Server up changing the configuration files to point to the test database, reboot and test (and verify) the connection before rebooting the Production Baan Server?
  • What resource/config files will need to be modified on the test server to point to the test database? (I believe $BSE/lib/msql_groups and $BSE/lib/msql_users need changed, but what else (if anything)?
  • We have scheduled tasks on the production server that would need to be disabled on the clone so users would not receive 'double' notification e-mails and such. Is there anything else through your experiences which would also be done
  • Any other lessons learned or pearls of wisdom to pass along?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time and consideration.
Old 30th November 2017, 15:36
Guru

Test Environment

I can't comment on your Unix/Linux environment. We are solely a Windows shop (Baan was the only Unix application we had until we migrated to Windows many years ago)...

However, the only files that needed to be changed were in the $BSE\lib\msql\ directory. They were: msql_users and msql_groups

These were the only files that we needed to change when creating the test environment. I thought that there might be others for the Baan application but there were not. We did disable all of the automated batch jobs on the new server so that they would not continue to run (some of them send notification e-mails out to users).

The only real issue we ever came across was that since out 3rd Party DBA was not Baan savvy, the group permissions on the new database would not be set up correctly because they would have to correspond with the new database name. Once those were re-established we were fine. We use a NazDaq-IT product to change the color of our environment so users would know they were in the test environment vs production.

Hope this helps.
Old 30th November 2017, 17:22
Guru

vinceco252 is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IVc3, IVc4, 5b, 5c, ERP LN 6.1, Infor ERP 10.x - DB: SQL Server, Oracle - OS: Windows, Linux, HPUX, AIX, (a little bit of) Solaris
For Oracle, the directory would be $BSE\lib\ora and the files would be prefaced with ora_ instead of msql_. Also, Oracle connectivity and parameters are a bit more complicated...
OST
vmurphy@ostusa.com