Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > Baan Quick Support: Functional & Technical > Tools Development

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
For ERP LN feature pack upgrade, what method of install are you using?
Installation Wizard into existing VRC
35%
Installation Wizard into new VRC
42%
Manual into existing VRC
3%
Manual into new VRC
19%
Total votes: 31

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 21st June 2017, 09:43

mkaufmann is on a distinguished road
Baan: ERP LN FP8 - DB: Oracle - OS: Windows
Allocate licence with external application
Baan: ERP LN 6.1 FP8 (Infor ERP 10.2)
C/S: None/Unknown

Hello everyone,

is it possible to allocate a licence through an external application?
we're planning to develop an external application to access the data directly in our database. At this point, the application does only read from the database. The application should maybe write to the database in the future. We have concerns that we violate the licence agreement and would like to dynamicly allocate a licence for each instance of this application to compensate that concern.
We're using Infor LN on Windows. Can I query the Infor Solution License Manager for available licences, send a command to allocate a licence for the intance of the running instance of my application, let the application do its thing and give the used licence back?
I'm not sure SLM is the right service to look for, but it's the first thing that came to my mind.

Thanks for you help.
Best regards
Sponsored Links
Old 21st June 2017, 13:10
Guru

mark_h will become famous soon enough
Baan: Baan 4C4 A&D1 - DB: Oracle - OS: Sun Solaris
I am not sure this is really correct - but if I was accessing the database directly and by passing the application I would not worry about a license. Of course we don't do this that I am aware of and have spare licenses to start with. Just my 2 cents worth of opinion for the day.

GO Cards!
My latest mantra - make sure you have latest stpapi patches and the latest session object. If on LN then please explore the option of using DAL2 functionality.

Shared Solutions for Baan systems provided free by Baan Board.
Play the Google game and help Baanboard get better rankings. Do your part. Click here to find how.
Old 23rd June 2017, 08:06

mkaufmann is on a distinguished road
Baan: ERP LN FP8 - DB: Oracle - OS: Windows
Hi mark,

thanks for your opinion. And thank you for being so helpful, this whole forum is great.
But I'm afraid it's not that easy. If you are interested you could read about "indirect usage" (don't know the correct translation for german "Indirekte Nutzung") and another big ERP system. Of course, they are two different companies and two different licence agreements, but I don't want to risk it.

Maybe you or someone else could still help me with my problem.

best regards
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:24
Guru

jclju1 is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan IV, Baan 5.0c, SSA ERP LN 6.1 - DB: bisam, Oracle, Informix, Sql Server - OS: Unix (all), Windows
In my opinion, it is important here what kind of licence you have for database.
Old 23rd June 2017, 13:17
Guru

I understand your concerns. I am definitely not an expert on the licensing of baan. Not sure what this other application is - but you could always try to open a connection thru the application itself. So for example - with OLE you can connect to the application thru BWC client. Once you connect thru something like that you would have a license and then could go read thru the database directly. Right off hand I do not know of another way to allocate a license. Good Luck!

GO Cards!
My latest mantra - make sure you have latest stpapi patches and the latest session object. If on LN then please explore the option of using DAL2 functionality.

Play the Google game and help Baanboard get better rankings. Do your part. Click here to find how.
Old 23rd June 2017, 13:34
Guru

ulrich.fuchs is on a distinguished road
Baan: IV, LN6.1 - DB: --- - OS: ---
"Indirect Usage"

I would definitely discuss the issue with Infor. Well, not discuss it. I would write a letter to the sales rep resposible for your explaining that you intend to do that and that you are assuming that any number of users can access data in the database from outside and that this is perfectly allowed given your contract (Infor standard contracts are totally vague when in comes to the technical licensing). And I would write to them that unless you don't hear anything from them in the next two weeks, you will asssure they approve your doing.

I think, companies using ERP systems should fight(!) that "indirect usage" scenarios ERP companies are trying to open whenever possible. We're going to Industry 4.0, and eventually there might be potentially hundrets of thousands of end users somehow accessing data from any ERP system. (Say, the driver of an excavator which is automatically tranferring it's usage data to the ERP system of the OEM).

I understand that ERP companies need to somehow do market segregation in their pricing structure. In the past, counting named or concurrent users was a reasonable approach for that. But given the fact that Infor is more and more going to sell named users, you as a customer definitely need to avoid that anyone that somehow does something in some software that somehow ends up as data in your ERP system is counting as a named user of the ERP system.

You should get that crystal clear with Infor.

Concerning your question:

Technically it boils down to running bshell processes on your LN server.

It depends if your contract is based on named users or concurrent users. If it's on named users, and you want to play it nice with Infor, you need a LN login(!) for every user accessing that other application (in total not more LN logins than you have licenses for) and you need to start a bshell with that user, as long as this user is using the other application

If you have licensed concurrent users, any bshell running is eating up one license. So again, if you start a bshell for each user that starts the external application, you should be save in terms of the _number_ of licenses.

Still, even if you do all that, there is no guarantee that Infor auditors are NOT telling you in two years or so that you have been violating some fishy paragraph of your contract by allowing that indirect usage (eg like no one outside of your company may use the software). As I said, standard contracts are (intentionally?) very vague concerning who can access the software and who not - there is no link between the legal language and technical concepts of the SLM.

So get it clear with them. And since the Infor organisation is not prepared to awnser such questions in a reasonable amount of time, put them into the need to reply explicitely, if they want to stop you.

(Ja, ich weiß. Keine Schlafenden Hunde wecken ist auch ein Argument. Aber bei einem Audit wachen die gegebenfalls eh auf, wenn sie was finden wollen)

Uli

Dipl. Ing. Ulrich Fuchs
- ERP consulting and software development -
Widumestraße 18 - 44787 Bochum - Germany
mail@ulrich-fuchs.de - www.ulrich-fuchs.de
http://all-in-for-erp.com (Blog zu Infor LN))
Old 23rd June 2017, 14:58
Guru

Great Reply Ulrich. That is exactly what happened to us - while we passed audits for years, eventually they came back on us and we ended up with a issue that had to be resolved.

GO Cards!