Baanboard.com

Go Back   Baanboard.com > Forum > Baan Quick Support: Functional & Technical > Tools Administration & Installation

User login

Frontpage Sponsor

Main

Poll
For ERP LN feature pack upgrade, what method of install are you using?
Installation Wizard into existing VRC
35%
Installation Wizard into new VRC
42%
Manual into existing VRC
3%
Manual into new VRC
19%
Total votes: 31

Baanboard at LinkedIn

Reference Content

Old 14th December 2016, 21:18

lotius81 is on a distinguished road
Baan: Infor LN 10.4 - DB: SQL Server - OS: Windows Server 2008
General question about printing in Infor LN.

Hi all,

Relative newcomer to ERP systems in general. We just went live with Infor LN, upgraded from baan IV. The entire organization is set to use LN via the webUI. Only 2 of us have the worktop environment for tweaking reports and such.

The person in charge of implementation at our organization, who also did virtually all of the maintenance in baan IV, swears up and down that it is impossible to print reports directly from the LN webUI to a local printer. This is causing everyone to have to print to display first, then print the resulting PDF to their local printers. The only printers we can print directly to are the WIndows Server Printers we have set up with static IPs on our file print server. From what I've read in the documentation it looks like you should be able to print to a regular Windows Printer device if you have the BWprint application on the client machine. Is this the case? It seems absolutely silly to me that we wouldn't be able to print documents to a local printer on a brand new system. We don't have many of the larger server printers so a lot of production/warehousing/sales/etc personnel are obviously unhappy. In baan IV everyone had the application installed on their client machines and printing was never an issue.

Any general guidance or information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 22nd December 2016, 15:13
Guru

Han Brinkman has a spectacular aura aboutHan Brinkman has a spectacular aura about
Baan: All - DB: Oracle/ms-sql/db2 - OS: *nix/windows
Since you seems to use 10.4 I guess you use ln ui which is html 5 based and with that bwprint doesn't work anymore. In that case you have to print to pdf and print or use indeed the windows server printers.
Old 23rd December 2016, 19:32

pbenven is on a distinguished road
Baan: mk 8.5 and 8.1 - DB: BISAM - OS: HP-UX
In our MK environment (similar to Baan IV) I installed txt2pdf on the erp server and send the resulting pdf as an attachment to the logged-in user's email account.
Old 26th December 2016, 18:44

oirfeodent is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan - DB: DB - OS: OS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotius81 View Post
The person in charge of implementation at our organization, who also did virtually all of the maintenance in baan IV, swears up and down that it is impossible to print reports directly from the LN webUI to a local printer.
What do you mean by local printer? When using WebUI, the report is opened as an internal tab or in a new tab in the Web Browser. And the printing can be done similar to how you print from any other website. So, Theoritically can be printed to any printer configured on your machine.

Can you eloborate the definition of local printer?
Old 30th December 2016, 19:57

Certainly.

I mean any printer attached to a client PC. In our organization's case, mostly by USB connection.

In baanIV the path to the different printer devices was simply \\computer_on_network's_name\printer_name

This doesn't work in LN. I guess due to the webUI. Seems rather silly that we'd have to buy server printers just to print documents directly to printer.

Printing to display first and then to device works yes, but certain documents that have barcodes need to print directly to server printers to get the barcodes to show up.

It seems like such a huge step backwards to have to print to server printers in order to do what we've done for 15 years with regular printers in baanIV. We now have an entire department printing all production order documents to a single shared printer because it's the only server printer nearby.
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd January 2017, 08:54

oirfeodent is on a distinguished road
Baan: Baan - DB: DB - OS: OS
Quote:
Printing to display first and then to device works yes, but certain documents that have barcodes need to print directly to server printers to get the barcodes to show up.
Barcodes, if printed without using any custom drivers should be visible even on the web browsers. That is, using bc$() function and not using any application which generates the code and injects the generated barcode into the O/P stream.

Quote:
It seems like such a huge step backwards to have to print to server printers in order to do what we've done for 15 years with regular printers in baanIV. We now have an entire department printing all production order documents to a single shared printer because it's the only server printer nearby.
Actually, it would depend on how Infor would have seen this change... when the industry is shifting towards cloud based and web based... Infor would want to stick to the trend and go with the flow. Not much of a comment here, but that is just my view.
Old 26th January 2017, 17:07

As far as I know we're not using any custom drivers, and yet barcodes aren't carrying over into the PDFs printed to display. I'm not exactly sure why this is. Unless we have something set up incorrectly in our system. What would I even begin to look for to make sure things on our end are set up correctly?