AMD Opteron six core processor on BAAN IV
Can anyone tell if the new AMD Opteron 843x six core processors are OK for BAAN IV installation?
will I see any performance increase from the extra processor cores?
and if someone knows of any comparison between Opteron 843x/243x and Xeon 55xx series, I would appreciate any help
Thanks in advance to all
I believe that this should be more than enough - although this of course depends on the planned system usage (users, used Baan modules, amount of data etc.). We're running our ERP LN application and the data base (Informix 10) on a server with six processors (Sparc) and the system load is most of the time low. I'd recommend to focus on installing more memory and maybe on installing/upgrading your hard disk system to RAID (using fast hard disks). Have you checked the system load on your current Baan system? This should be the best way to identify "bottlenecks" and knowing them to invest in upgrading.
Although it is a bit late some remarks:
- As you did not say where you come from, we can't say if performance will improve
- As mentioned by Pet, the performance can maximal be as fast as the weakest link. If CPU's are ok, but you use e.g. 1 big USB drive you are lost. The same applies for all the other components.
- Measure what the load is now (on all components (CPU's memory, IO, network etc)
- If you have an issue somewhere make sure you get this part at least better next time
- Determine what you need for OLTP and batch. Remember that for OLTP the load is spread is accros all CPU's while for (most) batch the load is on one CPU/core/thread. In the later case it could be that a batch can perform slower if the thread spead of the new system is slower compared to the CPU speed of the older system.
So, cores are nice for more power on the box with less energy consumption, but can hurt batch sessions if the thread spead is slower than what you had before.
Of course also other things can make a big difference like the different caches (L1, L2, L3) and the backplane of box.
To put above in one line: More CPU's is not always better.
Hope this helps,
|All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:50.|
©2001-2017 - Baanboard.com - Baanforums.com