Baanboard.com

Baanboard.com (http://www.baanboard.com/baanboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion & Chat (http://www.baanboard.com/baanboard/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   "The Trouble With Enterprise Software" (http://www.baanboard.com/baanboard/showthread.php?t=41267)

tritonbaan 4th September 2007 06:43

"The Trouble With Enterprise Software"

Recently, a hot article "The trouble with Enterprise Software" on MIT website has attracted quite a lot of discussions.

http://sloanreview.mit.edu/smr/issue/2007/fall/01/

The writter's point is , ERP system is too complex and too difficult to be implemented successfully.

Hmm, this may be right. But until we can find a good alternative IT system which is easy to use and maintain, ERP is still an evil you cannot kick it away.

Hitesh Shah 7th September 2007 06:46

complexity versus innovation

A Harvard Business review document on complexity versus innovation (available with compliments of SAP on SAP site) too highlights the tradeoffs for more complexity and innovation. Even SAP feels the heat of complexities in its environs and must be trying to understand the importance of effectiveness and simplicity in enterprise application . Probably this is the reason they have A-1 (all in one for high complex businesses ) and B-1 (Business one for low end simpler businesses)

Looks like IT folks have started to give more weightage to lean architectures , shorter training and implementation schedules, subsequent maintenance ease and flexibilities , business continuity etc.

tritonbaan 9th September 2007 12:12

I think there are some trends in the market which may change the future of enterprise applications.

1. SOA - like Infor's Open SOA
2. on demand - like salesforece.com or SAP A1S
3. open source - like compiere

It is hard to say which one will dominate. The future may be just mixed with different kinds of software.

Hitesh Shah 10th September 2007 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by tritonbaan (Post 124353)
I think there are some trends in the market which may change the future of enterprise applications.

1. SOA - like Infor's Open SOA

I too feel and wish SOA is going to domainte the future . But the link u highlighted has something different to tell .

Quote:

The proposed fix for these problems — the next new thing — is service-oriented architecture. Basically, SOA proposes to overcome the problems involved with updating and changing legacy systems by building modular cross-system business processes. These processes would connect the relevant pieces of functionality from various IT systems, thereby making it easier to change processes to adapt to new business goals. But technical realists point out that many difficult technical problems must be solved before SOA can become the backbone for a new strategic architecture, including robust protocols for accessing the applications, high quality integrated data stores and a sound methodology for managing the overall process. Researchers Ross, Weill and Robertson admit that most companies are in the early stages of a four-part transformation to SOA that may take many years — even decades — to realize
Let's hope such difficult problems are resolved very fast in a year or so and it does not take decades to stabilize .

tritonbaan 12th September 2007 00:14

ERP sells the concept of an integrated and centralized system. But the outcome is difficult to maintain, difficult to modify and difficult to implement. With SOA, it seems we go back to a stage with separated and decentralized IT systems. It is not easy but it seems this is right way to go.

Hitesh Shah 12th September 2007 14:15

Soa

Certainly SOA can enable the integration of decentralized system and can be the answer for many such issues.

avpatil 12th September 2007 19:07

In past every innovation has made things more complex as one tends to solve more issues. I don't see how SOA can reduce the complexity. On the contrary it will add more to it as now we are talking of hetrogeneous systems and to do a complete audit trail of a transaction would defintely be a challenge. It seems to only address a issue of Integration, but I think lot of people have put lot of emphasis on integrating a system. Though this is a challenge, but this is not really a majot issue. I have been using SF.com for long time, and first of all SF processes are not complex as an ERP processes and it is still a complex product to integrate. On the top of it they keep on changing API's and that would be an additional overhead. So, in my opinion we will probably land up in more complex system, but we can resolve some issues that cannot be done in today's environmet.

Arvind Patil

StephanieM 27th November 2016 15:22

Thankfully nowadays we don't have these issues anymore, i can't believe there were so hard times, in the IT domain, back in those days :|